EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Karawasa

Tower Ability Wishlist

Ever wanted to see a certain ability in a TD? This is the chance for your dreams to come true! We have a more than qualified JASS coder on the team, so if you can think it up, chances are he can code it. Do feel free to take ideas from other games (like DotA) if you want, as long as they make sense within a TD. Abilities can be of any type (slow, disable, damage, special effect etc.), as a lot of different towers are being redesigned.

The rules of this thread are simple, only post tower ability ideas. Do not respond to other posts, I want this thread to essentially be a list of potential ideas (so it is easy to look through). If you need to really discuss something, make a new topic on it.

Brilliance autocast (see welltower topic)

Mana leak

Mana burn

Mana steal (give creeps mana!)

Sleep

Beast Rage (on succesful hit tower increases at. speed and a chance to miss)

Stackable release (Remember DiabloII assasines M.A., on hit a satelite is spawned, when there are 5, tower releases a AoE skill)

Stackable souls (tower gets a soul from a nerby dead and increases damage. If noone is killed nearby in 5 secs. it loses all bonus)

Reapers Scythe (A tower that deals more damage if the current hp% is weaker)

Hooking tower (come back 'ere)

corpse explosion autocast

Down-level (see Moon tower topic)

Banish (short banish with extra elemental damage weakness)

Malefice (if creeps dies in less than X secs, it returns as a banshee)

so far...

Guest mrchak

- What about a tower that can change the armor type of a creep; Wouldn't that be something. Would have to be temporary and can't affect too many otherwise it would be... really powerful...

- Ability that makes a spawn attack its comrades

- what about a plague ability that slowly spreads from one unit to another, damaging over time (like for 3 seconds or something)

- risky tower that has a chance to reduce health by a lot or to give them back a little health.

Guest sillyboy_tomato

Do you know Irridiate from Starcraft??

A tower that casts that ^_^

The quickest example I can think of is Lightning Shield from WC3 (or Ion Shell from the Dark Seer in DotA), except also damaging the target.

Guest Ryukira

Dunno if i missed this in orb3rs masspost but the decrepify skill from pugna(DotA) would be nice in certain situations (mass spellbased) however you would have to think twice befor building it since it would make all you physical towers unable to hit the creep.

Web autocast, to stop for 0.3 or 0.5 secs those "fast" creeps. It may not affect other not flying spawns.

I think it would be great to have a tower combination that you 'link' across a path, creating something like a light barrier which takes a certain number of creeps to break down so they can pass through.

Guest mrchak

I thought of one idea that I think would be pretty sweet. its a modification of an idea that somebody else had. it would work well for electricity.

Basicaly, the tower sends out pulses that damage everything in a line, and the pulses go from one of these towers to another (a single one of these towers would ahve to have a different attack) So depenign on how you set up the towers, you could have the pulses go back and forth, or around in a network, shooting these lines of damage back and forth. EAch pulse could have a max total damage that it could deal. I just imagine placing these towers in very strategic places and ahving these pulses of energy shooting back and forth, damaging the spawns that are walking underneath them.

Another abiltiy is a tower that will temporarily change a creeps armor to another armor type; or just convert it to non elemental, and take on the attack type.

That reminds me of something I saw in the Command and Conquer game Red Alert 2. It would be great to have towers that shoot to each other, combining their strength into one powerful, focused blast. In C&C, they were called Prism Towers. They used mirrors and lenses to focus beams of light to strike enemies. But, when two towers were close enough, one would shoot into the other, which would take that power and add its own into a single attack.

Guest Sancdar

They use the same concept in Rise of Legends and in Onslaught Tower Defense. I think in this case the Onslaught implementation is most relevant. Individually, the towers do not do that much damage. However, when they link up, the back tower gets a 25% damage boost before adding on to the front tower. In a large chain, the damage boost can be incredible. If this is done, I suggest that the tower-linking AI gets "smarter" for upgraded towers, so they link more efficiently.

Guest GreatChiller

Suicide Tower: Goblin Sappers model, decent attack with splash damage. Has an activate ability that costs one life (or more, depending on balance) for some kind of powerup... like giving a huge increase to damage or attack speed of this tower for 20 seconds, or maybe stunning all of your creeps for 3 seconds, or taking away 50% of their HP, etc.

Mana Tower: Restores mana to other towers. Would only be useful if other towers, such as Storm or Summoning, became mana dependant. But it might work.

Remakes-

Tidal Tower: Doesn't the Magic tower already have the mana-storing attack? What about a twist on Tidal's old ability- instead of increasing damage for Sun/Moon towers, how about increasing its damage for each Water-type tower in its area?

Metal Tower: I was actually wondering why this tower was changed in the first place. Granted, its old version was a bit overdone, but I liked the idea. How about paying for 1/2/3/4 bounces, and you can also pay to upgrade its attack speed 3-4 times, while upgrading the tower to the Alloy tower would increase the damage.

Hail Tower: Not my idea, but I remember this suggestion from the old forums- This tower would attack randomly in your area... the AOE and damamge would be very large, but it's a risk because it wouldnt always attack where the creeps are.

Guest Sancdar

A tower that cannot deal overkill damage. That is, either the extra damage is dealt to a nearby creep, or is given as +damage on the tower's next attack (including any unused +damage that already existed).

Guest mrchak

Oil - possibly slow down enemies, make them more suceptible to fire, or suffer from lingering burn damage. The oil patch can be set ablaze and makes a wall of fire that the enemies walk through. Having interaction between different towers is very fun strategy.

Rust - slows down mechanical, makes them more brittle (lowers defense). This could use water and nature, in my opinion.

Light+Dark - strobe light ability? cause epileptic seizures.

Frotsbite - freezes an enemy so that the next attack that hits it does double damage. The ice shatters after the next attack, and it is back to normal.

Generally, It would be cool to have abilities that would make a creep more suceptible to certain damage types (though this is perhaps the same as changing the armor type).

Holy - extra damage to undead

Turning - the ability to frighten off the undead with the power of the holy; could this be some sort of slowing that affects only undead? If there was a holy tower, this could be a passive ability.

Guest Sancdar

Maybe it speeds up Mech units instead? A tower that's beneficial against some waves and slightly detrimental against others is a little interesting.

Guest Issunboshi

- An ethereal casting tower

- Tower that incinerates the ground (like the catapult burning oil?)

- A tower that casts Starfall (it'd be a whole lot cooler if the infernal meteor dropping missile was used instead) and affects all the enemies on the map

Guest mrchak

What about a vaccum ability - it could be an AOE slow that is based around darkness.

While the spawns are walking towards it, their walk speed is increased, while walking away from it, their speed is decreased. So it sortof pulls them towards it.

Guest Viper599

How about a tower that works around the death towers type of thing.

-Disintegration Tower, Shoots blasts of pure energy that have a chance to completely disintegrate a target, each shot builds on the target, increasing damage per hit (Incineration Effect)

-Inoculation tower- When hit, the target has a chance to A) Fall alseep for X seconds, BUT be invulnerable, OR B) Be turned under your control for X seconds before A) Returning to normal and keep on going, or B) Die.

Guest mrchak

these towers that complement each other could perhaps be planned to be incorporated into the 3 4-element builds that have no game-winning towers.

If the towers are effective alone and maybe increased in effectiveness by like 25% or something if they are used together, I can see that as a interesting strategy rather than a bad build.

I liked it when the tidal tower was buffed by sun and moon towers; Stuff like that encourages a diversified build, but the buffs should be planned out in moderation, they shouldn't be too powerful or else the towers would suck if they are alone.... I don't know what do you think?

Guest Viper599

How about a tower that could be a...a Fusion Tower! Which would require 1 of every element perhaps? with a non-elemental attack, but every time it attacks would have a % chance to do a high damage from any of the 6 elements.

-There's already a Periodic Tower of the elements, you know? Requires all 6 elements, does non-elemental damage, but can morph into a mega tower in either of the 6 elements... MrChak

There have been some great ideas in this thread, some which are going to be making it into the game :). I'm still in need of more ideas though, so please continue brainstorming! Remember, there is no limitation on where you get your ideas from, nor on what they can be.

Also, please DO NOT respond to posts in this thread. All it should be is a list of potential ideas. If you want to discuss something, simply make a new thread about it.

Guest Sancdar

How about a tower with strength dependent on elemental picks?

Either the number of picks (which I don't think is a good idea, unless it's stronger the closer to 4 picks you are), or based on complementing elements rather than ones that kill each other? So, if you had like EFD, it would be at maximum strength, but if you added in another element it would drop a bit.

Guest Viper599

How about a tower that autocasts an AoE spell that launches a pillar of light (ressurection) at a target doing heavy splash damage, simple yet effective, i keep forgetting about all the towers in the current vers, so i may be repeating ideas..? Or one that could cast a low damage monsoon, or forked lightning..

Guest Issunboshi

- Tower that 'blocks' the path by casting a giant wall or summons a giant unit (I think the wall is way more badass)

- Tower that eats units like a Kodo

- How bout a tower that launches a missile and it explodes when it hits the target but it also explodes into a bunch of smaller missiles that homes in on (random? nearby?) creeps. doesn't have to be a missile.. how about an orb or something

- Tower that does massive damage in the beginning of a wave but the damage slowly erodes as the wave goes on (I think the opposite was suggested before? Tower does crap damage at first but gets better with time)

- What happened to the old tidal + lunar + sun combo? I thought that idea was really cool

EDIT:

- Tower that turns units into Undead classification

Sign in to follow this