EleTD.com
Cisz

The mouse

I have a mouse in my room now. I was to berlin for a while, and when I returned, I found a small stash of wallnuts in my bed. I also hear scratching noises in the evening. But seriuosly, the nuts were a dead giveaway.

I'm off to buy a trap, I keep you informed how things evolve. :)

Edit 01 - The trap is set. I hear a constant gnawing noise, but I am not sure where it comes from. I search the shelf that seems like the most likely place and find a bag of walnuts with a hole gnawed into it. I move the bag next to my trap, and wait if this stops the gnawing. Nope, it still gnaws. Hm.

Edit 02 - Now it stopped..

Edit 03 - I left the room for a lenghty supper and some mythbuster, and gues what. :)

Gotcha.JPG

The poor thing must have been in panic when I took this photo. I covered the trap with a towel to give the mouse some privacy, carried it outside and released it into the wilderness.

Now I have my room back and hopefully nothing expensive has been gnawed.

Edit 04 - The mouse is gone and still it gnaws. Seems there is more than one mouse. I set the trap again and it snaps, but no mouse inside. I reset the trap, and again it gnaws. Argh. :angry:

Guest MethoD

Lol. You caught a mouse. It looks lovely. I like mice.

I haven't seen that type of trap. I only have seen the traps like in Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Now I know what it has been gnawing, my ethernet cable is broken.

Newsflash

The mouse has been seen in the living room.

No, now it's in the kitchen.

I set two traps and hope.

Did I mention that I had a recent internet failure?

And did I mention that a certain rodent try to pull a wall nut through a door gap to small for it?

Let me show you something.

post-4-1241486052_thumb.jpg

Notice where it had tried to widen the gap by gnawing the door?

But I digress. We left the scene when my father and I left the house for some stuff to do, the mouse having been seen in the living room, and two traps set.

And when we returned, something wonderfull had happened.

post-4-1241486434_thumb.jpg

Problem was, it was still gnawing in my room. :(

So I bought some material to build a serious rat trap, set the two smaller ones once again, and started to cut a grating into round pieces, ruining my fingers in the process.

And it gnawed. For days. Drove me nuts.

I paused games to listen, I walked near what I thought was the source of sound, but the rustling and scuttling would end everytime, leaving me without a clue.

Finally I decided, that the noises where not coming from inside my room, but from the next room, so I silently walked there and waited. And then it started to gnaw again, I switched on the light, and searched. I found an old bun and some forgotten popcorn remnants, and some ashamed rodent, all inside a collapsable shopping crate, you know, the ones that are made of plastic fencing. I didn't get my camera, I just covered the box, and carried it outside. I closed the door, and started to empty the box, but no rodent remained. Hm. I heard some small animal moving nearby when I started unpacking. Maybe it had left the box when I was busy with the door? I packed the box again and returned inside, hoping for the best.

Well.

Still it gnawed.

One day later, I opened my door and switched on the light, when something small and furry took a look at me, before hiding under some carboard storage sollution. Hm. The same one I tried to remove just recently? Or yet another one? I moved both traps near the crimescene, and gave one of them a new bait, with the freshest ham I've ever eaten. (We are right in the middle of asparagus season here, with potatoes, hollondaise and ham; the latter one doubles as a bait.)

It took only a few hours:

post-4-1241487480_thumb.jpg

And another one. Interestingly enough the mouse went for the old bread with aged peanut butter, and not for the fresh ham.

Finally silence.

Or so I thought.

Argh, gnawing, again.

I left the traps in place after the last one, but the damn thing enjoyed days of gnawing, and climbing around with tiny claws.

For days, again.

And just now, bang:

post-4-1241487698_thumb.jpg

This time I gave it a number.

I would be happy to believe this was the last one, but somehow I have doubts...

The traps are set, and if they should snap again, or some tiny teeth should work their way through something that belongs to me, I'll tell the next chapter.

It's only been a few hours, but something just went snap. Sigh.

post-4-1241490494_thumb.jpg

The last two look suspiciously similiar. Maybe it's the same one twice? I need info on the orientation of mice, maybe they return? I mean, I carry them like 50m away, let them out into some shrubbery that is not directly connected to our garden (they have to pass through a neighbouring parcel if they were to return..

Or maybe it's a family of mice? One mother and her kids? I was away for long enough, it's possible. But then, why are the mice of two clearly different brands? Two families?

If this continues this way, with 1-2 mice per day, I can do statistics.

Boy, you've got 5 plague rat already? Maybe you should capture them with nature tower :)

Just kidding, anyway, they all looks kinda cute... And annoying for you, I believe

Except for the 3rd rat, it doesn't look pretty cute at all...

When I returned from uni today:

post-4-1241550042_thumb.jpg

That's the 6th. 24 more and I have a full wave.

This one didn't run away so quikly, it sat there and looked at me. Maybe it was lonely? Or cold? Wanted back in? Gnaw my stuff? I have mixed emotions now.. Maybe I took away it's mother.

So you killed the tree for nothing :P

But hey they all look nice maybe you become a rat/mice lover someday :)

Sigh.

I just saw another one. Or the same one again?

Sigh.

I just saw another one. Or the same one again?

you could find out. if you store them in some type of box only for a few days - can't be the same one several times in the same box ;)

Yes, that could work. :)

Or I could take them to the uni (110km) and set them free there. Or send them to sweden maybe?

Maybe I could mark mice somehow. A friend suggested textile colours, but those have to be ironed on. :P

Edit - This one looks familiar again. Hm. Maybe next time I will keep it for a while.

post-4-1241565304_thumb.jpg

That makes 7 catches, and at least 3 clearly different mice.

Edit - Ok, this is getting more and more suspicious.

Sorry about the 9 in the picture, I lost track around 4am, it is the 8th catch:

post-4-1241578828_thumb.jpg

This time I got into the car and brought it like 1km away. The next mouse I get will hopefully look at least a bit different.

And why are you sending those rats to Sweden? Is it for Jolin...?

Maybe you could sell it as a hamster? :)

Ok, this one is smaller.

post-4-1241603774_thumb.jpg

Ill take it with me when I'm going to uni today, let it out along the way.

Edit - I let it jump into outside freedom along the roadside.

More Edit - Guess what, it's gnawing again.. If it wasn't for the teeth, I wouldn't mind some rodent company. I guess if I catch another one, I'll do a short video on how to fire a mouse gun.

It was silent for a few days.

Then I heard rustling, and i was pretty sure it was in my room. And I have to admit I threw an empty soda bottle into the direction the noise came from..

Silence for more days.

And just now it snapped again. And then it rattled. Got a big one this time:

post-4-1242173245_thumb.jpg

When I tried to record the setting free on video, the mouse refused to jump. Maybe the brown kind doesn't do that as willingly, the grey ones allways did. :)

I guess they revive after killing them? And maybe after they run around a lap in your house the reankh is reset ^^

I haven't heard a mouse since my last post. Seems I got them all, or they are outside enyoing the sun and the cats.

Guest X_Oblivion

Wew... are you killed them??

Or just you throw them out into a trash?

Some Rats are gave a curse:)

I released them into the wild, where they can continue to eat all those annoying insects. ;)