EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Karawasa

New take on degeneration tower

Battery:

At the start of each round, it will have an increased attack, as it attacks the damage will gradually go down and will eventually be 0, the battery's attack goes back to normal at the start of every round.

Guest Sancdar

I don't know how good an idea it is, you'd just mass them at the front for rush play.

The total damage of a battery needs to be balanced here. If they do less total dmg than an ordinary tower, they can't be abused, but suck, and there is no reason to use them.

And it doesn't matter how high the dmg of a single shoot goes.

An extreme example: If the battery fires one time, dealing 300.000 single target damage, and is empty then, I won't use it. Any decent splash tower can do much more together with slow. A refined earth needs 300k/7.5k= 40 hits to do this, so with hitting about 6-7 targets it will need only about 6-7 shoots to reach this dmg. Or, to make it even clearer, a wizard tower needs only 3 shoots with its mana based extra dmg of 99.999 points to equal that. If you can get a wizard tower to a 4th shoot, a battery tower would need 400k total damage to be ballanced.

Guest mrchak

This sounds a lot like Tidal / magic tower to me, except with a much longer cooldown, but the concept itself doesn't seem really unique.

what if the tower built up power from units dying around it, like it collects their spirits. After it reaches capacity, it can cast its ability to send a shockwave out in all directions to stun or damage the units in an area. So these towers would want to be stationed in a place where lots of units die. These could be soul-collector towers, something like that. So it slowly charges, charges, charges, then you can click "Release" at any time to send out the shockwave. The tower could automaticlaly release when it reaches 100% capacity, or you can micro it to send out a shockwave at opprotune times.

It could stun/slow/damage proportional to how much has charged up, but it could be exponential so that if you wait till 100% charge it is extra effective. What do you think?

Guest mrchak

Another problem with this idea is you could potentially sell them when their attack gets too low and rebuild them (in random mode for no money penalty). I'd much rather see a battery that slowly regains energy over time, rather than resetting at the next round... another questions I would have is what about when you summon an elemental to attack. Does the tower still have its drained battery from the last round, or does it have refreshed energy, and if so won't attacking the elemental drain energy for the next round? I can envision myself avoiding these towers altogether since they'd be so problematic.

What about a tower that goes through seasons or cycles. Like Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. Its strength changes as the season changes, and each season can have a different strong point.

Maybe seasons is a theme for a new TD... but a seasonal tower might have potential for some cool damage degeneration affects

That is a good point about recharging MrChak. Here is what I now envision, tower loses damage and HP (to prevent it from being sold) every time it attacks. It would have a regeneration rate. It is when the tower is not attacking does it get a chance to regenerate. Or, it could just regenerate all the time, with the rate being less than depletion from attacking.

Thoughts?

Guest mrchak

How about after it attacks it waits 2 seconds then starts regenerating energy (and hp). So it only regenerates when its not attacking (each time it attacks it will reset this 2-second wait period.

Good idea about the health, so if you sold it you'd only get a proportional amount of the gold.

Guest Sancdar

So...it's like Magic but you can't sell it?

I'm off for all sorts of gold changing towers. espesially those you lose money from.

might become a tower of limited use... the dmg would have to be balanced with other towers in the game...

although variable sell price isn't one of the things i would want to see...

What if the tower needs to regenerate for about 1,5 rounds? It would be pretty nice to build a tower that deals good damage for a i.ex. healing wave, and be able to turn the tower off for those waves I know for certain I will not leak, just to have the tower ready for when hard times come. No microing abuse, useful tower. But somehow I feel it hurts a bit the gameplay concept.

Guest mrchak

Random players would just sell it if it has a long cooldown. I'd just sell it and rebuild it.

What if the tower needs to regenerate for about 1,5 rounds? It would be pretty nice to build a tower that deals good damage for a i.ex. healing wave, and be able to turn the tower off for those waves I know for certain I will not leak, just to have the tower ready for when hard times come. No microing abuse, useful tower. But somehow I feel it hurts a bit the gameplay concept.

quite an interesting concept there...

then maybe the tower needs a gold penalty for selling. like you lose 50? gold everytime you sell the tower (as opposed to degenerate, where the sell price is variable)

Guest mrchak

This is essentially the ability known as "Berserk", right?

For the "Berserking" towers, they can cast an ability that gives them increased damage and attack speed for a certain amount of time, then the ability has a cooldown. So the tower has Strong mode and ok mode, and there is a cooldown before you can cast the spell again. If the spell costs a lot of mana, that can be controlled with mana regen rate and starting mana (have this tower start with zero mana when it is built or

upgraded, so you can't just build it, use the ability, sell and rebuild).

For a damage degenerating tower, its essentially the same concept, except more problematic. The tower is "berserking" when it is built, then gets weak. This raises all sorts of issues of being able to sell it and rebuild it to avoid the cooldown period. I think the berserk ability is a lot less problematic, and besides its already been decided to be implemented, right Karawasa?

Sign in to follow this