EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Twilice

Important, don't play "new" maps

I refer to this: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topic...58&sid=3000

Do not play maps that you don't already have. For example, do not download a new version of dota directly from Bnet it might be a virus.

So this means ONLY download new versions of element TD here, epicwar, hiveworkshop. (or other trusted site)

This means, that a hosting bot is higly insecure to download a map from. If you want to download a new map only get them from a trusted friend. Do not trust a map to only be a "underlined" map and redownload it, now it is VERY important that everyone use the same filename thus we know we already have the map meaning we can be sure it is not a virus.

Short terms:

- Avoiding new maps, unless downloaded from a trusted site.

- Avoid hosting bots, specially if you don't have the map.

- Keep the same filename as everyone else.

Examples of Correct filenames of some popular maps:

- Element TD 4.0

- DotA Allstars v6.59d

- BTanks859

- Battleships Crossfire4.31

- Pudge Wars Advanced v1.21

- Soldiers v3.09

Is there some other map you want me to lookup/add please tell.

P.S. Blizzard is apperantly working on this, I sure hope they work fast......

speaking of eletd with ONE filename - was the Internet explorer download with underscores fixed?

Edit: just checked - that issue isn't fixed. Internet explorer still downloadswith underscores from eletd.com and TheHelper.net

Guest Sancdar

I'd give at least 50/50 odds that this is complete bullshit. No Blizzard announcements or blue posts in that thread? It's been two days and nobody said anything?

I'd give at least 50/50 odds that this is complete bullshit. No Blizzard announcements or blue posts in that thread? It's been two days and nobody said anything?

I can assure you this is legitimate. Over at Wc3C they have been talking about JASS bytecode execution and how it can be used to run code on your computer via a custom map. Good thing I only play one map :P.

Also, the filename is no indication of whether a custom map will compromise your system or not. Your best bet is to simply avoid downloading maps from other players on BNET.

If you join a game and accidentally download something, don't freak out. You have to actually run the map for it to do anything.

If you play on BNET a temporary fix has been applied that resolves this issue. A patch is surely coming soon.

speaking of eletd with ONE filename - was the Internet explorer download with underscores fixed?

Edit: just checked - that issue isn't fixed. Internet explorer still downloadswith underscores from eletd.com and TheHelper.net

Then stop using Internet Explorer..

@OP, I always download from the sites it comes from.

I don't use internet explorer. What I mean is that there is a problem if a version with 2 different official filenames, or at least 2 different filenames you can get from the official download site.

I might need to add, I got new info as karawasa said they have a temoporary fix for this when you play on battle.net. So you should only be in troubble if you download the map somewhere or play in LAN games (also like LC host's)

But you must actaully run the map in order for the virus or whatever it is to start its effects.

Guest Sancdar
I don't use internet explorer. What I mean is that there is a problem if a version with 2 different official filenames, or at least 2 different filenames you can get from the official download site.

I guess that's why DotA used to force people to download the map in a zip file, so the filenames would always be the same.

i guess that works. or the origianl filename could be changed to actually use underscores :P

Guest noob

I looked in my WC3 download folder and I found a "Google Updater"?!

I also found a torrent file.

I don't remember putting those in there. Might have been an accident but it is suspicious.

There is a bot on Northrend that autohosts "Area of Ice Escape" (I didn't know about this hacking at the time). It said it would autostart after 5 players joined. No one did. Does anyone know if this map has viruses? Has anyone else seen this bot?

There is also a bot that autohosts Element TD. This bot is how I found out the map and I have been joining its games many times! I hope it is safe. I won't join it again now.

Not every bot that hosts our map is ours. We have one, that is true, but I wouldn't assume that every bot hosted game of eletd is safe.

But playing a game of eletd on a version that you got here is safe, if you don't get a download. So you can join, and play, and own them all, just not dl anything on the b-net for now. ;)

They have said they made a quick fix for b-net.

But not for local area networks. That also mean, if the hostbot uses LC or something else there is slight possibly that it may be a bad map. But I don't think we should be "super" scared ^^.

Guest noob

Oh sorry I didn't know it was yours.

I just read the front page of WC3 when I log on to bnet. It says that 3rd party programs such as bots aren't allowed? Does that mean your bot could be banned?

Guest Void

Epicwar is hardly a trusted site, it isn't even moderated.

I were more reffering to Element TD on epicwar. But Somewhone could fake an element TD there aswell.....

Maybe I should change it.

Sign in to follow this