If "Restricted Difficulty" is selected:

[pre:23xe7kxu]Restrict Difficulties!

[ Any Difficulty ]

[ Easy or Harder ]

[ Normal or Harder ]

[ Hard or Harder ]

[ Very Hard Only ]

[ Refer ][/pre:23xe7kxu]

This would be good and has always been requested by many. Has been suggested to restrict in other ways, but I feel this one is the best and easiest. should work well with the other difficulty menus too, and I feel it's rather important that it is in the map before the 4.0 release.

the option to restrict difficulties should come before players start picking their difficulty.. players wouldn't have to pick difficulty twice which can lead to some confusion..

and yes. this would also help to make games more fair for the league bot.. that host can restrict ve rushing while not forcing all vh.

yes, the first is "choose difficulty" (a host option) and then comes if chosen in first option "Restrict difficulty" and last "choose your difficulty"

meaning, first comes for the host "do you want to play All on VE, E, N, H, VH, or refer difficulty, or Restricted Diff. if restricted dif is chosen, then the host choses which restriction, as above is shown. if he chooses say normal and harder, that triggers the option for each player to seelect if they want to play normal hard or veryhard. refer would trigger a vote on which restriction there hsould be. the refer on the chosen restrictiveness.

So - the same as shown above, and after the restrictiveness every player will choose their own difficulty. what you misunderstood I think is that the first option shown above is not each players dif, it is the host who has the chance to force "all VE" or "all vh" or w/e. the 2nd option is the choice of restrictiveness, only if Restricted difficulty is chosen. after that, there is, unless host forced diff, the choice of difficulty for each individual player.

Sounds ok - but I guess i woudn't use it much.

[        Very Hard Only         ]

Whats the sense of this option? Everyone has to pick VH :D

I hope I am not misunderstanding...

Implementing this is the same as saying that countdown timers have failed to regulate mixed games. I don't believe we have tested the new values, and this is a fair amount of additional work to do (since it isn't straightforward how I am going to make the dialog for difficulty dynamic so it matches your choice).

Unless testing can prove the current countdown values do not work, this is something that I would postpone to 4.1.

Implementing this is the same as saying that countdown timers have failed to regulate mixed games. I don't believe we have tested the new values, and this is a fair amount of additional work to do (since it isn't straightforward how I am going to make the dialog for difficulty dynamic so it matches your choice).

Unless testing can prove the current countdown values do not work, this is something that I would postpone to 4.1.

Yes you are right but I think that's a problem that will never be sloved.

The problem is that the difficulties are to different to adjust only the timer.

Yes we could change the times again but I think it is impossible to make it perfekt :P

In 3.0 I would regularily win games with mixed diff, so I think this could be possible again. But I agree with karawasa, without proper testing we shouldn't do it. I fear though, that the best way to deal with this is to discourage the use of the lower difficulties even more.

I suggest no early wave start by any players on ve (in an all ve game the next wave would start when all are finished). I assume this would reduce the ve players in mixed games to zero in about two weeks. After that we'd have to solve the easy rushers. :P

Besides, while we are waiting for definite test results we might as well spend some quality time on designing a menu, just in case. ;)

I suggest no early wave start by any players on ve (in an all ve game the next wave would start when all are finished). I assume this would reduce the ve players in mixed games to zero in about two weeks. After that we'd have to solve the easy rushers. :P

Interresting idea - whats about that:

Only players on the hardest difficulty (in that game) are able to reset the counter?

I still think timers alone are sufficient to solve the problem.

whats about that:

Only players on the hardest difficulty (in that game) are able to reset the counter?

This idea only takes into account the person on the highest difficulty. What if there is 1 VE, 1 Normal, and 1 VH player? Now you're giving a disadvatage to the guy on normal.

I suggest no early wave start by any players on ve (in an all ve game the next wave would start when all are finished). I assume this would reduce the ve players in mixed games to zero in about two weeks. After that we'd have to solve the easy rushers. :razz:

As you pointed out, what about the easy rushers? We can't introduce fundamental differences between the difficulties, only numerical ones.

Guest Sancdar
Implementing this is the same as saying that countdown timers have failed to regulate mixed games.

The countdown timers don't do anything for Race Mode, since VE players will almost always finish before VH players.

I'd greatly prefer this mode, as it is I see hosts forcing normal or lower difficulty a lot, and maybe with restricted put in they could choose normal and let me play on a difficulty I can't sleep through.

The countdown timers don't do anything for Race Mode, since VE players will almost always finish before VH players.

Hmm. Well that can be fixed. We could just have a time delay for lower difficulties to match up with the countdown timer delay.

In other words, for example, when a VE player finishes, 20 seconds later he claims the first to finish title. (Numbers to be adjusted of course.) If, let's say, a VH player finishes 5 seconds after a VE player, the VH player is counted as having finished first instead (since only 20 seconds later is the VE player counted as having finished).

The delay time would decrease as difficulty goes up. (For example, 20 sec for VE, 15 for E, 10 for N, 5 for H, 0 for VH.)

Guest Sancdar

That is counterintuitive and I think it would be frustrating for players. You finish first, 19 seconds later someone else gets the point for the round.

Although honestly, I think Race Mode isn't that exciting in its current incarnation, so modifying the game to suit it is not important to me.

Wow, there are a lot of neat ideas brought up in the thread.

I like this one:

Interresting idea - whats about that:

which imo is a bit better than this one:

I suggest no early wave start by any players on ve (in an all ve game the next wave would start when all are finished).

more to me added when i come back home

Sign in to follow this