EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
0rb3r

Switch between elemental arrow/cannon towers

Somebody once purposed that elemental arrow/cannon-towers should be able to change directly to a different element basic tower. So basically a fire cannon tower can be upgraded to a water cannon with no cost (insted of selling and rebuilding the whole thing, just switching).

I'm just reviving that topic because I think that element switching would be a nice improvement.

Sure, to micro you have to sell the tower anyways, but in some situations it would be nice (specially if you missclick building the tower).

Guest 1mpulse

that was my one wish :)

its a noob friendly thing. so that noobs wont sit on a dark level and not sell their water cannons.

it's something that helps bad micro-ers, those who can't sell and rebuild fast enough. this will affect usually only the first 25 levels or so where cannons and arrows are mainly used. (yes, i know some use arrows and cannons for some extra damage while farming gold for upgrades in mid/late game but that's beside the point). i would accept the proposal.

I think it does take a little to much time to upgrade from building a cannon into having an elemental cannon, but it takes to little micro just to switch in one click.. I wouldn't like this I believe,

Guest Sancdar

It's not like you'd ever be doing this if you were trying to play well/micro interest, except on the occasions you accidentally upgrade to the wrong type. It's nice for bad players and doesn't impact good players either way, I think it's good.

You could make the switch time longer than the original build time, but then there's a small problem with implementation (analogous to the small implementation problem for the "equal cost multiple upgrade paths" discussions).

@jolin012: Hmm, good point. A VH player could post on 7 and rush, Didn't thought about that.

12 secs switch duration should make it about equal fast to rebuild or to switch. But if you missclicked and then have to switch it would be no benefit at all :? .

@echinerodata:"equal cost multiple upgrade paths". I dont get that. It would be a skill like a upgrade with 0 cost and 12 secs building time. It wouldn't cost more to create a fire arrow tower directly then to create a water arrow tower and then upgrade to a fire arrow tower.

The upgrade from a lvl2 dual to a lvl2 triple was removed because on 3.0 upgrading this way was more expensive then goin from a lvl1 triple to a lvl2 triple. I don't see the problem. :roll:

Guest Sancdar
@jolin012: Hmm, good point. A VH player could post on 7 and rush, Didn't thought about that.

I don't think it would work well. The betas seem pretty well stacked against rushing effectively on VH. On mixed difficulty the lower difficulty players shouldn't have a problem countering, because the game is MUCH easier in comparison for them. I'd suggest a quick switch, but a cooldown between switches, like the old Periodic Tower.

@echinerodata:"equal cost multiple upgrade paths". I dont get that. It would be a skill like a upgrade with 0 cost and 12 secs building time. It wouldn't cost more to create a fire arrow tower directly then to create a water arrow tower and then upgrade to a fire arrow tower.

The upgrade from a lvl2 dual to a lvl2 triple was removed because on 3.0 upgrading this way was more expensive then goin from a lvl1 triple to a lvl2 triple. I don't see the problem. :roll:

echinodermata (not echinerodata) was referring to the controversy over whether to keep the multiple upgrade paths and make them all the same cost or to get rid of them, like Karawasa ended up doing. The solution's easier for an "upgrade" that would cost no gold, since you can do it with an ability like in the old Periodic. I'd suggest a 30-second/mana limiter on the switches, but have an elemental tower actually upgraded from a super tower start only 3 seconds short if possible. The only issue with doing it this way is that switches for elements you don't have would still look active - they'd just have to not replace the tower, pop up a message about requiring X element, and set mana back to full.

The only "rush" possibility I can see in this change is when you need to kill an elemental, are building on 4, take two passes to kill it, and need to switch elements immediately for the next wave. If that's the case, this probably isn't speeding you up significantly compared to just building more effectively to kill the elemental.

Sorry sancdar and echinodermata, it was a bit late when I wrote that and misread. Thanks for correcting me out.

Sign in to follow this