EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Megadramon

The New Orbit Tower!

v0.82

I don't know much about the mechanics of this tower. It seems a bit different than the WC3 version. This tower seems to randomly hit creeps with lightning from the orbs. I thought the orbs orbiting around the tower would do dps damage or something when it comes into close contact with the creep. If someone could please explain the tower, since there's really not much information about it anywhere, that'd really help.

Another thing about this tower is that I don't think it's very powerful. It could be that I'm not using it properly, but the damage output is really bad. I would still leak water creeps with it's tier 2 version. I wasn't able to manage my resources well with this tower because the damage for cost was really bad, causing me to build more towers to compensate for it's bad damage. I put these towers on the 7 and 5 single pass positions, treating them like the Vapor/Nova/AOE towers and they aren't very reliable. I think the tower needs a bit more tweaking.

Cosmetics wise, it looks awesome!

Please share your thoughts, or shed some light on this tower.

Oh and just for people who haven't seen this tower yet, here's a screen shot of it!

post-1832-1312181949_thumb.jpg

The lightning is purely cosmetic. The projectile damages all enemies it passes over.

I'll agree that it feels a bit weak for a triple now that I've had a chance to play with it a bit - I'll talk to Karawasa and see what he thinks about it.

Oh, and you don't even wanna know what kinda math went into making the visual work correctly. This is our first tower that has a trigger-driven visual and I'm pleasantly surprised that it came out so pretty :P

Ah nice.

The main reason why I was confused with this tower was because of it's poor performance :(

It really does feel weak.

I hope it gets a major buff next version.

ETD v0.83

It might be just me but i still have trouble finding the optimum spot to build this. Creeps just slip past its radius with minor to no damage.

I wish the tower's orbit radius could be set shorter or the projectiles' hit box widened or both.

Well one issue is that the orbs fly rather high, so it's hard to tell exactly where they are going.

That said, I tried them once and I guess they seemed a bit weak.

I think the towers should have a rotational direction control (with a 10+ second cooldown), because sometimes it might be more advantageous to spin one way over another.

I'm wondering about the damage triggering mechanism for this... if somehow a creature stayed right under the radius orb for a long time, would it take damage more than once?

I can't remember the max radius exactly, but I think it was around 16? I think it would be good to increase it more.

IIRC the Orbit Tower's orbs in WC3 had DPS, and moved along with the creeps. The reason the orbs moved along with the creeps was to allow more damage since the creeps would be moving with the orbs allowing more contact time with each other. I could be wrong, but this is what I remember from some guy telling me way back then.

How would the orbs moving the opposite direction output more damage to a creep wave?

Oh yeah... as of v0.84 apparently this tower now properly does dark damage. This could explain it's poor performance versus water creeps, or in general.

I'll have to try out this tower again.

Sign in to follow this