EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Karawasa

Risk Tower

Risk: Has a chance to reduce health by a lot or to give them back a little health. Could have ways to change the amount of "risk," you put in.

What do you guys think?

Guest GkJ-mo

when doin such a tower you'd have to make sure that the creeps HP get decreased, taking all attacks together, otherwise it would statistically a bad idea to build that tower :)

And if so, the tower basically only needs massing to be no different than, say, electricity. I'd say, not so interesting.

Guest mrchak

Agreed, the risky stuff like Dinosaur and Electricity can be good massed, and although it can be fun to have this chance, it can severly cripple your strategy.

I'd be much more interested in a tower that has the potential for high damage but doesn't always hit its target. Sometimes it misses or hits the ground near the target, or units near the target. I also like the idea that the accuracy of the tower is dependent on how far away the target is.

Guest GkJ-mo

isnt that, what earth towers do right now? if they shoot at a creep quite far away, the creep moves on but the earthen rock hits where the tower shot at, hitting something else

Wouldn't change a thing. If the tower deals an overall positive damage, it's no difference from electricity imo.

Guest mrchak

Like, it could be 100% medium damage, or 50% double/50% none... or like 50% triple, 25% none, 25% it gives life?

I don't think it should have tons of options, because then it would just be difficult to work with, and people would avoid using it altogether, unless they love to micro. But people who like to Micro tend to be people who like more control (i.e. leave less up to chance/ more risk averse) - and would therefore probably want to avoid a tower that is all about randomness and risk. It's sortof a catch 22.

I think making the tower more complicated isn't making it more interesting to me.

Guest Sancdar
isnt that, what earth towers do right now? if they shoot at a creep quite far away, the creep moves on but the earthen rock hits where the tower shot at, hitting something else

Earth Towers shoot at where the creep will be, so they only miss if it turns a corner.

What if you could control the risk though? Set the odds that you are dealing with?

Fundamentally the tower is the same, but generally less effective the higher the risk. For example, if the dinos had 100% chance to use their stomp at 25% of the damage, they would be much more effective because their average damage would stay the same, but you couldn't lose to a sudden excess of unluckiness. Of course, you would never get lucky and dominate a wave, but if you know what you're doing you should know about how much damage you need to add every wave and take care of it. If a dino had a 1% chance to do 25x the damage, it would be a horrible tower because even though the average expected damage would be the same, you would either dominate a wave or let it through.

So, to be useful, the "risky" towers need to have a higher average damage than towers without risk, proportional to the risk involved.

Sign in to follow this