EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jitse

Wrong world editor version? / Elements map gives error?

Guest Jitse

Hi ho. :) I've noticed that alot of popular maps doesn't seem to be loadable by my world editor, including Element TD 3.0. Most maps return something like wrong world editor version, but I've searched the internet, and I can't find any patches for the world editor itself. (My Warcraft III + TFZ are 1.21, according to the official Blizzard site that's the latest one.) Here are the details:

First it says that the map is saved by an editor with a higher version than mine, and asks if I want to continue loading. If I say yes it loads 'til the end, where it says he has some missing unit data (probably just an incompatibility).

Now the map of Element TD 3.0 does something else, it just gives a weird error at the beginning of the loading period, and terminates the application. These are the details:

Critical error

Not enough storage space available to process this task.

Program: c:\...\worldedit.exe

Object: WERandomGroupSet (.?AUWERandomGroupSet@@)

It seems as if it gets stuck at a certain trigger/function/whatever, as if it triggered an infinite loop or so.

Anyone knows an answer to one of these two problems?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Akatsuki

Popular maps on battle.net are protected to keep some people from changing them and taking all the credit. De-protecting maps are easy to the people who knows how. But a majority does not know how to de-protect maps and many warcraft 3 sites even makes talking about de-protecting a map against the rules. I know how to de-protect maps but if someone asks me, I would refuse to tell them how to do it and not do it for them.

Also some map-protectors has a side-effect that actually helps the map itself. Such as Vex's Map Optimizer not only protects a map, but reduces the map size to make downloading easier. And some like Widg...., that is made to greatly reduce the map's loading time. Last time I learned about map protection, these two are the most popular ones to use. Not so sure about now, through.

The negative side to protecting a map is that people who wants to learn from the map, can't.

So using map protection is a choice, but many people decides to use it.

Guest Sancdar

It's easy enough to do a basic deprotect and muddle through the ridiculous variable names to learn what you need. As long as you have some idea of what you're looking for, that is.

Guest Jitse

Hmmm, I had a slight idea it could have been that. :P I totally understand why authors try to obfuscate their maps though. Still it's a pity for educational purposes, certainly because most good maps (with good scripting practices) are the ones that are protected.

Anyway, seems unprotecting a map isn't that hard if you find the right tools. :P The only disadvantage is that it's in JASS of course, but that's good enough.

Thanks for the answers. :)

Guest Sancdar

Learning specific things is pretty easy at the sites dedicated to that kind of thing. If you want to know how to do something real complex, I think it's good to need a basic knowledge of JASS. Learning is nice, but copying is lame.

Guest Jitse

Certainly, but I didn't want to find something in particular of the Elements TD map, or any other one. :P I was just wondering why my world editor couldn't load quite a few, and after that I was interested in deprotecting them just to see if that was possible. :D

I'm just making a TD for my own pleasure, trying to think of something very original that sets it apart from the average TD, so I'm certainly not going to use the elements system, or any other existing one. :)

Guest Jacob
Certainly, but I didn't want to find something in particular of the Elements TD map, or any other one. :P I was just wondering why my world editor couldn't load quite a few, and after that I was interested in deprotecting them just to see if that was possible. :D

I'm just making a TD for my own pleasure, trying to think of something very original that sets it apart from the average TD, so I'm certainly not going to use the elements system, or any other existing one. :)

Well element td's system is pretty unique if you ask me, there is no other tower defense that requires so much experience and skill to get to a high level, in my oppinion uncomparably better then green, tropical or paladin crap td's.

Ofcourse, state if you have another oppinion.

Sign in to follow this