EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest knightdemon

Looking for Advice

Guest knightdemon

First of all, I just want to say thanks to development team for such a wonderful tower defense game. I found the game (version 4.2) through hosting bot last week and have been playing it for awhile now.

I play on normal mode and have been trying various builds with mix of elements. I prefer using light, nature, fire, earth, and water. I normally stay away from dark element unless I play on random mode. On all pick mode, I always start with two or three investments then focus on a mix of two elements to tier 3 for main attack tower and one element to tier 2 or 3 for support tower.

This is the sample game I played a few hours ago. I picked $, $, $, L, N, N, L, L, N, W, W. Filled the whole map with all the towers and I still had a lot of gold left over. Some advices I am looking for:

Is it better just to pick two investments over three? From my short experiences, I am just not too sure if I would have enough gold to build towers in the whole map with just two investments. May be I can if I go with wealth tower build.

Do you think my placement of Spring Tower is okay? or Can there be improvement?

Which one of the Tsunami or Soul Catcher tower is better to fill the whole map for damage? or the mix version is the best?

Lastly, just some general advices to improve my game in future. I am not really happy with 362 Ronalds kills. Any tips or advices to help me kill more Ronalds would be great.

Thanks!

362 kills _ Normal Mode.w3g

Guest botmann

Replay isnt watchable, I assume u had different version downloaded, not the 4.2 from the forum. Try watching it urself with 4.2.

And getting 362 ronalds on normal Tsunami and Life is impossible. I just tried Tsunami+SuperNova (so i had 30% slow across whole map (6-8 SuperNove towers at vital points), and flooded the rest with Tsunami), and I got 270+, even trou I had 110+ lifes at the end of 60th lvl and 30% slow. So no, 362 ronalds is not possible.

Which one of the Tsunami or Soul Catcher tower is better to fill the whole map for damage? or the mix version is the best?

I would say Tsunami is better and u dont need 2 lvl-3 elements. But Fanatic towers have proved to have even more damage output.

Is it better just to pick two investments over three?

2 is far more than enough.

Lastly, just some general advices to improve my game in future. I am not really happy with 362 Ronalds kills.

Try the real 4.2 EleTD with ur buildup, u gonna be even more dissapointed...

It's possible the filename is Element_TD_4.2.w3x or something like that. The same map can be recognized as different thanks to that oversight by Blizzard.

Guest botmann
It's possible the filename is Element_TD_4.2.w3x

Well the map's name from this forum is "Element_TD_4.2.w3x", with those underscores. The replay in this thread needs "Element TD 4.2.w3x", with spaces. Even when i tried to change the name of the original to no-underscores, the replay would start, but nothing happends (players do nothing)... Does it have to do anything with the game version?

Guest knightdemon
Replay isnt watchable, I assume u had different version downloaded, not the 4.2 from the forum. Try watching it urself with 4.2.

And getting 362 ronalds on normal Tsunami and Life is impossible. I just tried Tsunami+SuperNova (so i had 30% slow across whole map (6-8 SuperNove towers at vital points), and flooded the rest with Tsunami), and I got 270+, even trou I had 110+ lifes at the end of 60th lvl and 30% slow. So no, 362 ronalds is not possible.

If you read my post, I said I found this game through official hosting bot. So, the only version I know is 4.2 since this is the latest version which the bot host. I don't even have the other version so this is the only version I have played so far. I played the game on version 4.2 and I watched the replay 2 times already now. It works fine on my computer, not sure why you aren't able to watch it.

Does it have to do anything with the game version?

Yes, you must have the same WC3 version as the replay to watch it. If he is playing 4.2 then it must be the 1.24 series of patches. I think we are currently on c.

Guest botmann
I played the game on version 4.2 and I watched the replay 2 times already now. It works fine on my computer, not sure why you aren't able to watch it.

https://forums.eletd.com/index.php?showtopi...amp;#entry17560 get the map here. Try watching ur replay with it.

If he is playing 4.2 then it must be the 1.24 series of patches.

Well wow, and I'm playing 2.4 on warcraft 2 ver. 0.42!!!1111 Thx Cap!!

Guest knightdemon
https://forums.eletd.com/index.php?showtopi...amp;#entry17560 get the map here. Try watching ur replay with it.

It's the same version. Not sure how many times I have to tell you I am playing the latest version 4.2 through official hosting bot. Whether I download the 4.2 from this site or play it through official hosting bot, it's the same game. It's your problem that you are playing the outdated version of Warcraft III. That's why you can't watch my replay. Go and download the latest patch. For your information, I play all my games online so it's better to test my skills against other opponents. You will be better off playing online instead of playing solo since it's a joke that you can stall times when playing solo.

Guest botmann

Allright, ma bad... the thing is, I do play wc3 from a local gameshop, and the version of the game there is 1.24b. Yeah, we dont use b.net in asia, cos it sucks.

And I got no choice but to play solo, damn asians are stupid as monkeys and most of them cant play any custom map, exept for dota. But I dont stall in EleTD anyway.

I'll try to download some version switcher and watch ur replay...

P.S. Blizzard sucks more and more with the time...

Guest botmann
Do you think my placement of Spring Tower is okay? or Can there be improvement?

It was quite good I would say...

Try to go for 2 invest and pick lvl 3 water, to make waterfall towers instead of spring towers, that should improve ur result with this buildup a lot, srsly. And, imo, Tsunami is better than SoulCatcher (in combination with waterfalls), but who knows? I suck anyway xD

I'm still suprised how cheaty life towers are... U made more ronald kills with not a perfect 3 elements buildup than I did with two 4-elements polished buildups T_T

P.S. Blizzard sucks more and more with the time...

I agree, replays breaking on every patch is really stupid.

Guest botmann

Here's ma attempt to prove ma point. Tsunami works really well with waterfall. I did a huge mistake around wave 45 or something, I build tsunami towers too early and lost a lot of maney later on. Because of that, I didnt had whole map of tsunami and waterfall towers, otherwise, in a perfect match that would be like ~450 ronalds.

Replay summary:

Ver: EleTD4.2 [1.24c]

Date: 3/01/10

Mods: Normal, AP, short

build: $ $ L N L N W W L N W

Focus on towers: Life -> Spring -> mass Tsunami

Leaks: ~20

Outcome: 389 ronalds

Still, I dont think this buildup is good. Its just plain cheating xD

EleTD4.2_FKS_3_01_10_NormAPshort_389rnlds.w3g

Guest knightdemon
Try to go for 2 invest and pick lvl 3 water, to make waterfall towers instead of spring towers, that should improve ur result with this buildup a lot, srsly. And, imo, Tsunami is better than SoulCatcher (in combination with waterfalls), but who knows? I suck anyway xD

I'm still suprised how cheaty life towers are... U made more ronald kills with not a perfect 3 elements buildup than I did with two 4-elements polished buildups T_T

I will try your advice next time I play on b.net. The problem with two investments and going into 3 x level 3 elements is that you might not have enough gold to fill the whole map with towers at the end. Last time, I tried with two investments method I got rushed out of early by good opponents and forced to spend a lot of gold in early part of the game. And in the end, I didn't have enough gold to upgrade into waterfall towers. So yea no point really going into level 3 water unless you can make sure you have enough gold in the end to fill the whole map. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Guest botmann

Well on b.net it could be the different case... I'm sure its possible to fill the map with Tsunami+Waterfall in solo match.

On the other hand, u can try to go for water 3 instead of nature 3, on b.net. Getting the waterfalls on ronalds is really important, imo.

Guest knightdemon
Here's ma attempt to prove ma point. Tsunami works really well with waterfall. I did a huge mistake around wave 45 or something, I build tsunami towers too early and lost a lot of maney later on. Because of that, I didnt had whole map of tsunami and waterfall towers, otherwise, in a perfect match that would be like ~450 ronalds.

Replay summary:

Ver: EleTD4.2 [1.24c]

Date: 3/01/10

Mods: Normal, AP, short

build: $ $ L N L N W W L N W

Focus on towers: Life -> Spring -> mass Tsunami

Leaks: ~20

Outcome: 389 ronalds

Just finished watching your replay. I say you did pretty good. With your point, I agree that Tsunami is better than Soul catcher tower. The only problem is Tsunami costs 3500 gold to upgrade so yea unless you have a lot of gold around it's better to mass Soul catcher than to mass Tsunami. I agree with you on the importance of Waterfall towers. They make huge difference.

Still, I dont think this buildup is good. Its just plain cheating xD

I disagree. I don't consider using life tower cheating. I mean life tower itself is fairly weak. Even though it has strong damage, the firing rate is pretty slow and no splash damage. Unless you have right support towers to buff up damage or slow down units, life tower itself won't get the job done. I have seen a lot of people fail at b.net by using massive life towers strategy.

Just curious, what buildup you normally use and what you consider to be good? The other build I like to use is fire + earth + light with wealth tower as main damage and foundry tower as support tower. But, overall, I find life tower build to be more effective as I can kill more Ronalds in the end.

Guest botmann
Just finished watching your replay. I say you did pretty good.

Thanks, keep in mind, that was ma fist game with that buildup. It is possible to do it much better.

The only problem is Tsunami costs 3500 gold to upgrade so yea unless you have a lot of gold around it's better to mass Soul catcher than to mass Tsunami.

Well, if u go for 3 invests, then it shouldnt be a problem. As I said, try 3 invests and waterfalls+tsunami.

I mean life tower itself is fairly weak. Even though it has strong damage, the firing rate is pretty slow

It only falls a little bit behind some awesome triples like Wealth tower or Locomote tower, but consider that triples cost a lot more. And it gives u lives, so it makes up for its little damage handicap.

Anyway, I do count using most of the Light buildups as cheating xD

Just curious, what buildup you normally use and what you consider to be good?

Wealth towers with foundry are awesome, but then again, I dont think they are fair >_>

Ma best buildups so far was:

- LEFW: starts with Gold/Wealth tower, support them with foundry, then goes for Monsoon towers as a support (slow) and Fanatic towers as main damagers.

- DEFN: starts with magic towers, supported by trickery towers (clone), later some Orbit towers and all Voodoo towers.

I made it up to 300 ronald kills with both of those builds.

But ur combination of waterfall and tsunami gave me an idea to use Fanatic and Foundry, also Fanatic+Foundry+Mire. I can post the replays later today or tomorrow.

Sign in to follow this