EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Karawasa

Napalm 2.0

You'll notice the current Napalm ability works by applying a dummy ability to the creep(s) damaged by the tower. The level of this ability ranges from 1-8 depending on the level of support buff and the tier that the tower is. When a creep dies it explodes for a certain amount of damage depending on the level of the dummy ability. The dummy ability is removed after a certain duration (unit "cools" off).

I'm looking to remake this ability. I'd like to move away from dummy abilities altogether (crude method) and also I'd like to make it stackable. I propose something like this,

When a tower with Napalm damages a unit, it adds a Napalm counter/marker to it. Each counter is automatically (and individually) removed after a certain duration. When a unit dies it deals damage equal to X*# of counters. If a Flamespewer (tier 2) damages a creep with Flamethrower counters, the Flamethrower counters are reset and instead Flamespewer counters get incremented. If a Flamethrower (tier 1) damages a creep with Flamespewer counters, nothing happens. To represent the number of counters a creep has (so player can see how much damage this guy is going to explode for) perhaps the creep should be shaded more and more red as counters increment.

But then flamesweeper and flamethrower wouldn't stack.

Just base them on the same counter but flamesweeper adds 5 counters instead of 1.

Just base them on the same counter but flamesweeper adds 5 counters instead of 1.

Good point. I'd also recommend the counters being given in real numbers instead of integers. That way the support buff Fire Up (15%/30%/150%) can be applied. Essentially if the tower has a level of the buff than the counters it adds per attack should be multiplied by the appropriate amount.

ah, another good point :P

And a unit life is also counted in real numbers right? So you don't have to turn it back to integer.

P.S. chain reactions were cool....

I changed it so that it calls the effect on units within 150 range of the primary damaged unit (it is a splash damage tower after all). I also made the tinting more pronounced.

Did I do this right? If so, it's done!

Napalm.rar

Sign in to follow this