EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Twilice

Starcraft 2 Element TD?

I just recieved a starcraft 2 beta, are there any plans at all moving along to this platform? And the editor is out aswell now. I might be able to do a "start".

I already started making a map for SC and it's extremely time intensive. Considering the time Karawasa spends on updating EleTD, he can't do it.

Element TD is a complex map, with lots of content, balancing, etc included. To make something simliar for SC you'd have to spend weeks/months to be able to get something equally good (we don't want to ruin the good reputation EleTD earned on Wc3, now do we?). The best thing to do, would be recruiting a teams, which takes care of different things (implementing the code base, terrain, towers, whatever). But somehow the community has become kinda quite and inactive, so this might be difficult.

On a sidenode: you don't need a beta key to use the editor. You just need to somehow get the client, that's all ;)

I already started making a map for SC and it's extremely time intensive.

Is your description of the SC2 editor in contrast to WC3's?

I feel that starcraft is the natural continuation of eletd. That blizzard has included the eletd brand in several presentations demonstrates how they have had us in mind while developing their new tools and battle.net system - which may also be the most viable method for monetizing eletd.

The SC2 editor offers way more options to mappers, than the Wc3 one. Especially the data editor is way more complex. They even made custom scripting with the editor more difficult, so you either have to use the GUI (which is also way better now), or import Galaxy scripts (which is the new coding language).

Right now nobody really knows the editor very well, so it takes some time getting used to it. Especially when trying to create a hero system, you soon realize that it's not as easy as one might think.

Indeed I created a new unit from scratch. I didn't even find how to change the model................. I don't know if it's a bug or not.......

Here is the deal, you must add things to your unit you created, and then you can change those added things. But I couldn't find where to add a model! (wtf) It's extremly complex, but you can an almost outrageous amount of things. (they should have made it more simplified to use the standard things. The hardest things is almost the simpliest....)

I feel that starcraft is the natural continuation of eletd. That blizzard has included the eletd brand in several presentations demonstrates how they have had us in mind while developing their new tools and battle.net system - which may also be the most viable method for monetizing eletd.

I am really perplexed by all the appearances of Element TD in the SC2 preview images and presentations. I wonder though that if they had us in mind, then perhaps they could have contacted me, or anyone here, in some form or fashion. By no means am I comparing us to DotA, but I bet that IceFrog got contacted. Maybe it's just me, but if I wanted someone who was developing a mod I liked, or thought is popular, or whatever Blizzard's reason is, to continue doing it for SC2; then I'd at least try and make some form of contact. My email address is very easy to find, and these forums are easy to post on (or PM from).

Regardless of my being miffed or not, I don't agree that SC2 is the natural continuation of Element TD. As explained to me by a professional game programmer in Germany, "I am not making games; I am making mods." Going from WC3 to SC2 would be "going from one cage to another." It suffices to say that my ambitions are more sophisticated than what you have in mind.

Finally, the monetization of SC2 could very well be hit and miss just like WC3. In fact, at the moment SC2 seems like a bad gamble if anything. Remember, SC2 = Blizzard dictating monetization.

Sign in to follow this