EleTD.com
Karawasa

Element Tower Defense coming to Dota 2

On 11/25/2015, 10:18:18, Crooked said:

I think you should focus on bringing out the game first. If it gets popular you can think about monetization. Popularity has to be earned somehow and many (even if it is only pure cosmetic) will have mixed feelings. Also if the monetization isn't a success you spent a lot of time for little money.

You want to continue using MoD/Jicyphex's assets but they have a bad image in the modding community.  The modding community is all about sharing knowledge, making things possible. While Jicyphex has been holding the community back and used to be a very vocal person. He announced various projects, made videos about first competitive custom game FoF but to date the only released game of his is Invoker Warfare (DAC). Luckily it seems Jicyphex has vanished. The games were polished and playable. They were just not released rumor being because of monetization and keeping the code close sourced.

In my opinion people should be allowed to do their own version of Element TD. That's how the majority of maps in WC3 evolved and that's how WC3 became so successful. Some version of the map will become the most popular one and the maker of it will continue updating it for years. I understand that it would mean competition to you and in worst case someone snatching the Element TD title in Dota 2.

Monetization with the DotA 2 version is not a concern for me. I just hesitate to release something unfinished.

To be honest, I am as far removed from DotA 2 as one can be. I did not know that about MoD. I'm not tied to him by any means. Frankly, he has been lacking in providing custom assets anyway so...

I am against people doing their own version of Element TD because I want to be involved with it. I have enough for an alpha (pre-reborn) so it makes more sense for someone to continue development of that version.

18 hours ago, A_Dizzle said:

WindStrike What makes you think that there won't be community support for Dota 2 EleTD? There are already many TD's for Dota 2 on the top 30 custom games list and most of them are very unpolished and unbalanced in comparison to EleTD from what I saw from Quintinity's EleTD videos on youtube. So it is very likely that even in it's state without all your custom tower assets that the game will do very well.

What exactly is left to be completed? I will be happy to update it to reborn to get it working again.

Interesting. Alright, I'm game. PM me.

Huh? I thought I said that I believe there would be community support... guess I phrased it wrong. From my testing in the alpha, all the tower effects were in the game, though it was missing tower models (it kinda just used a bunch of existing stuff that didn't really fit), creep waves + types, balancing was rather off, even though we ported it straight from the SC2 version and only modified a few towers... yeah, if it were to theoretically continue back on track, it'd be a good while before it gets to a playable beta, a few months minimum, depending on the manpower behind its development, and depending on whether said manpower decides to go for custom tower assets or not. As for how much what existed broke upon shifting from original 2014 source 2 engine to 2015 reborn source 2 engine, dunno, that was never tested.

If you're confident you're able to finish out those things (or can find other mappers willing to do it), poke Karawasa about it, see if he'll be open to re-continuing development.

I'd also like to help with this if you are willing to open this project.

I'm currently maintaining the RTS Building library (updated to the new UI framework in Reborn, the one mentioned on that thread was done in scaleform) and would like to adapt and polish it for Tower Defense games.

As far as custom assets go, I always thought this game could be very well received without them and instead just using the hundreds of heroes/couriers/units models with cosmetic models we have available.

9 hours ago, Noya said:

I'd also like to help with this if you are willing to open this project.

I'm currently maintaining the RTS Building library (updated to the new UI framework in Reborn, the one mentioned on that thread was done in scaleform) and would like to adapt and polish it for Tower Defense games.

As far as custom assets go, I always thought this game could be very well received without them and instead just using the hundreds of heroes/couriers/units models with cosmetic models we have available.

I'm very happy to see people offering to help develop this version. Consider the project open. Please PM me.

I'll also concede to the the idea of towers having "unit" models. With that, we should be fine asset wise. It worked in WC3 and SC2...so why not.

19 hours ago, Karawasa said:

I'm very happy to see people offering to help develop this version. Consider the project open. Please PM me.

I'll also concede to the the idea of towers having "unit" models. With that, we should be fine asset wise. It worked in WC3 and SC2...so why not.

Loads of other TDs use units in place of towers. Gem TD mainly uses Wards/Couriers. There are a lot of assets even just using those two things and heroes/couriers can be used as creep waves. If there's anything I can help do with the project let me know, I'd love to help get this out into the world.

6 minutes ago, Celeadyne said:

Loads of other TDs use units in place of towers. Gem TD mainly uses Wards/Couriers. There are a lot of assets even just using those two things and heroes/couriers can be used as creep waves. If there's anything I can help do with the project let me know, I'd love to help get this out into the world.

Agreed. I realize now that I was setting the bar too high in regards to custom assets. I have prepared a list of models to use for the creeps. I just need to do the same for towers. Your help is definitely appreciated. PM me and let me know what you are thinking.

I had fun today, getting the new building system to work, we still need to decide the final models! I'm working on the backend while A_Dizzle hits the UIs and Azarak updates the map to make it beautiful

Will drop some updates here when we get something juicy (builder interface most likely)

Whoa, haven't been here in ages and now you guys are making DoTA 2 version? Kick ass! Better make sure to remember and give it a shot

Welcome back to the insanity. It is genuinely close to release, and should be out by the end of the month. Although it's similar to the WC3 and SC2 versions (no core mechanics changed), there's a lot of small fixes in there that make it a true upgrade to the previous versions. This right here is a pretty good shot of what to expect:

12A5444BE78AB8BFB9DE123ECC448F7289966ABB

Admittedly, the tower sizes and overlapping have seen a bit of a reduction since. It looks gorgeous and runs smoother than the SC2 version. Expect greatness on release!

Twilice and WindStrike, you two are still here! Sure has been a long time indeed.

I hope my eletd skill and knowledge aren't too rusty otherwise I'll be overwhelmed with this new version.

I think I just peed myself a little bit!

(oh, and hi - long time lurker, first time poster). Can't wait to see this on Dota2. Thanks to all of you putting in the hard yards!

1 hour ago, zod said:

Is it possible that you gonna try developing Burbenog TD for Dota2 ? This would be aaaaaaaawesooooome

We're not the developers of that game, so probably not. There is one I'm personally interested in seeing remade from the ground up from WC3, can't remember the name of it. It was a cross between Tower Defense and Hero Defense and was a really cool concept, though it had a number of design issues that prevented it from being an A-ranked game.

7 hours ago, Karawasa said:

We are planning on next week :).

Heck, it might be sooner. I'm tryin' to push the last of the balance polishing out by the end of the day, and there's a few more tweaks and fixes that need to be done, but that's about it.

2 hours ago, zod said:

Is it possible that you gonna try developing Burbenog TD for Dota2 ? This would be aaaaaaaawesooooome

Unfortunately, we don't plan on doing that.

51 minutes ago, WindStrike said:

Heck, it might be sooner. I'm tryin' to push the last of the balance polishing out by the end of the day, and there's a few more tweaks and fixes that need to be done, but that's about it.

I still need to do my due diligence and play a few more games beforehand. We're also waiting on some epic artwork. They'll need time to animate it for the loading screen too. All of that said, perhaps early next week.