EleTD.com
Karawasa

Element Tower Defense coming to Dota 2

Nah, dota 2 has a currently in alpha "world editor". It's very much work in progress. But full custom maps are planned.

I don't know any details on how it will work out with prices and such. Dota 2 is fully gameplay free, only custom cosmetica / tickets costs money. But I actually wouldn't be surprised if the custom maps would cost a small ammount of money. Because they are regarded as custom. (and the creator gets a bit of that money of course)

Cool, I don't mind paying anyway for eleTD on DoTA2.

To my understanding, custom games will be free, and even if the option of it costing something is there, it's been decided that EleTD will be free either way. As for the possibility of custom cosmetics for the mode costing money, I have no idea.

To my understanding, custom games will be free, and even if the option of it costing something is there, it's been decided that EleTD will be free either way. As for the possibility of custom cosmetics for the mode costing money, I have no idea.

Yes, EleTD will be free to play. Custom cosmetics and options will cost money. Nothing that gives a gameplay advantage though.

Most unrealistic alpha screenshot I've ever seen. Arrow/cannon towers with triple-element towers? Please, surely you jest!

Just kidding, it's an awesome shot yo.

Quite sure we've all seen basic arrow and grenade towers still in play at fruit.

that said, that screen shot is awesome..should get a preview video of sorts recorded soon...

Can we get an update now that Reborn Beta is out? I've seen Quintinity streaming himself making another game, so is the coding done? I'd love to help beta test it if possible.

Checking in to see if there's any new word on progress since Dota 2 Reborn Beta. Hell excited to play some eletd again, I'd be keen to help test also.

We are going to start up development again due to the Reborn Beta. One problem to note is that a lot of the code base has to be redone because of the engine update. The other problem is getting custom models/icons created for the game. I would expect a release to be a few months out.

I am again here, and very happy that all this continues.

I will closely monitor the consequences of the project.

See you soon Karawasa

As much as we want it to be out soon, we also want it out looking solid and playing nicely. Given the ten kajillion bugs being found in the Open Beta of Dota 2 Reborn - http://dev.dota2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=475 - I have the feeling EleTD might not be out as fast as we'd like; plus our resources are also going in to the mobile version, so working on two versions at once is pretty daunting. I am hoping we at least get the Dota 2 version out by the end of the year though, and that's probably a more realistic time frame, especially since we still need all the custom models for the game (or at least enough that, combined with the base models in the game, all the towers have decent models).

played lots of eletd a long time ago.  and lurked here back in the day also.  it's my fav td ever.  

i've been messing around with dota 2 custom games, and remembered about eletd.  i'm glad that you guys are bringing it over to dota 2.  i play eletd on sc2, but dota is my main and would love it there.   i want to introduce it to my dota friends also. 

seems like mobile version is a top priority for you guys, and it should be.  please don't make it a free mobile game.  i want to pay for it and support you guys.  and once you guys are done with the mobile version, please don't forget about dota 2!  many of us are from the wc3 era, so i'm sure you will get a huge following on the dota 2 platform.  

if you guys need beta testers on dota 2, give me a holla.  

p.s.  maybe look into selling dota 2 cosmetics.  maybe an observer ward that's eletd-themed.  i'm not a broke-ass college student anymore.  i want to support the game that i love. 

Unfortunately, we lost out Dota 2 programmer, so the Dota 2 version is on hold. Visually, even though it was only in alpha, it was a treat, but unless we get another programmer, then for the time being, we're shifting back to developing the Starcraft 2 version (and using it as our platform of "trying out crazy changes"), with the mobile version being the priority. I do not know whether it'll be free or pay-for though.

The mobile version is our priority. There is good news on that front. We are progressing nicely and will reach alpha by end of the year. The mobile version is going to be a paid app. Note that we are avoiding in-app purchase.

One day I would like a PC version. It wouldn't be a DotA 2 mod; it would be a standalone game. That way we can bring back the WC3 feel in full force! Surely my next project if the mobile version goes well.

Why did the project fail? There are many other projects which weren't as promising as this and started much later but turned out nicer. They also have hardly any self-created art assets.

If someone else wants to port Element TD to Dota 2 how should he approach it? Does MoD own this game? We don't want to ignite Jicy's wrath and have him send legal letters.

Can you supply the old code/art assets? How do you envision the Dota 2 port? Will it be a free game? Should the next developer work closely with you? Are people free to make their own version of Element TD?

4 hours ago, Crooked said:

Why did the project fail? There are many other projects which weren't as promising as this and started much later but turned out nicer. They also have hardly any self-created art assets.

If someone else wants to port Element TD to Dota 2 how should he approach it? Does MoD own this game? We don't want to ignite Jicy's wrath and have him send legal letters.

Can you supply the old code/art assets? How do you envision the Dota 2 port? Will it be a free game? Should the next developer work closely with you? Are people free to make their own version of Element TD?

The project is on-hold because the developer had to leave. The work he did was all pre-reborn and thus obsolete. What is not obsolete are my model selections for creeps and the game mechanics. Tower models are not as easy and that is why I am looking to MoD for custom assets.

MoD does not own the game, I do. If someone wanted to port the game they should contact me. I would still like to work with MoD for the custom assets. It is a level of polish that sets the game apart. It's much better than having tower models that don't fit at all.

I do have the old code. I have the mechanics down for the DotA 2 port. It's similar to WC3 but with some updates. It will be a free game with some in-app purchases (nothing that gives you an advantage though). The next developer should work closely with me.

People are not free to do it on their own though.

22 hours ago, Crooked said:

I don't agree with your vision on the Dota 2 port but I'm glad you are giving an honest answer.

What part don't you agree with?

I think you should focus on bringing out the game first. If it gets popular you can think about monetization. Popularity has to be earned somehow and many (even if it is only pure cosmetic) will have mixed feelings. Also if the monetization isn't a success you spent a lot of time for little money.

You want to continue using MoD/Jicyphex's assets but they have a bad image in the modding community.  The modding community is all about sharing knowledge, making things possible. While Jicyphex has been holding the community back and used to be a very vocal person. He announced various projects, made videos about first competitive custom game FoF but to date the only released game of his is Invoker Warfare (DAC). Luckily it seems Jicyphex has vanished. The games were polished and playable. They were just not released rumor being because of monetization and keeping the code close sourced.

In my opinion people should be allowed to do their own version of Element TD. That's how the majority of maps in WC3 evolved and that's how WC3 became so successful. Some version of the map will become the most popular one and the maker of it will continue updating it for years. I understand that it would mean competition to you and in worst case someone snatching the Element TD title in Dota 2.

Personally, I'd really like to see EleTD in Dota 2 cause from what I've seen of the custom map community (I mainly play Imba Dota), they loooooooove to experiment with hilarious and crazy builds, plus it's a lot friendlier than either SC2's community or Dota 2's standard game community. I think if the Dota custom game community got their hands on a Dota 2 version of EleTD, the game could really expand in a whole lotta ways. More towers, creeps, modes, ideas in general.

Unfortunately, it's on hold due to focus on the mobile version, which does have a fair amount of progress already and is lookin' pretty good. I don't know if the Dota 2 version is ever coming back honestly, but... one thing we've always wanted is more community support. If there's enough support and desire for an EleTD in Dota 2 to the point that it'd get us a community rather than just a handful of regulars, I put my vote in towards that, regardless of potential successfulness of the upcoming mobile version.

WindStrike What makes you think that there won't be community support for Dota 2 EleTD? There are already many TD's for Dota 2 on the top 30 custom games list and most of them are very unpolished and unbalanced in comparison to EleTD from what I saw from Quintinity's EleTD videos on youtube. So it is very likely that even in it's state without all your custom tower assets that the game will do very well.

What exactly is left to be completed? I will be happy to update it to reborn to get it working again.