EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Timberwolf

Tournament Random: getting no use?

Guest Timberwolf

Haven't seen anyone mention any thoughts on this at all. I must have played 100 Ele 4.0 games on battle.net by now. I think 3 of them used Tournament Random mode, maybe 4.

I like the mode. It's a good idea. Given a choice between tournament random and the standard public game fare of "allrandom short mode", my choice would be tournament random (I'd also take extreme mode over freakin short mode for a fast game any day of the week but that's another rant). Problem is people don't seem to understand what it is, don't want to pick it, and even when they do like 6 out of 8 players won't pick any elements because they don't understand how it works.

I guess that's all more of an observation than a suggestion. As for how to change it... I think the paragraph that pops up when you pick TR mode needs to be cleaned up. Personally I don't mind it, but I think a lot of people (in the few games where it gets used) aren't getting the point about needing to use the items in their inventory *now* as opposed to later. Maybe look for a way to shorten it up a little, and make that a little clearer?

Guest 1mpulse

the main problem is probably the name. Tournament random. im guessing the average public player is put off by the big word :?

it is a variant of samerandom where it is guaranteed that a 4element build is randomed, main problem why it ain't used would be that 4ele builds are too weak, especially is randoming alot of interest and maxing the wrong elements. Maybe it works better in easier modes, and maybe it'll work better after build rebalance.

Edit: forgot to add - the 4 element build is Voted by the players, using tokens in the inventory at start of game, although order of them, tiers and pures and interest are randomized.

Guest milkopilko

Ah. I never would have guessed thats exactly whats happening from trying it out, glad i asked then.

i almost pulled off mass interest with no lvl 3 elements. I remember having zealot hydro, muck, and later roots flame and voodoo. I remember being able to build lvl 2 hydro as well so I think the build was all interest except for EEWWFDN. hm that's 5 elements not 4. I was surviving without Nature for a while tho.

1,000,000 Gold was reached in endgame. Simply ridiculous. Too bad at round 60 nothing seemed to do damage at ALL. which is why it's in bug reports.

http://www.eletd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=7935#p7935

Guest ciopo

renaming it to "draft mode" would probably get it used more, i agree the name is a bit "intimidating"

How about 4-element-random?

And maybe there is a way to make it more clear how to vote for the elements, some sort of agressive blinking or so.

Draft Random Mode. Now I need to figure out a way to point players to the fact that their builder has tokens to vote with.

you'll need a better way to tell players they need to pick right at the start.. As i know, most don't read the mode descriptions that come up during host pick/refer apart from difficulty and is it pick or random. short mode is obvious with the starting gold. Chaos mode some don't even pay attention or don't know what it means.. .. someone (think cisz) suggested blinking the items repeatedly so that players don't miss the fact..

and by the way.. i'll be using TR to attempt to complete the 15 (for my guide)..

draft mode.. thinks of the forum draft series (organised by myself)..

Draft Random Mode. Now I need to figure out a way to point players to the fact that their builder has tokens to vote with.

Or perhaps if it doesn't work out force the players to vote using dialog boxes or soem other method.

I don't know if draft is a well known word among germans or swedish people. I thought it would mean "to be drafted for the military". :? How about "vote random"?

Vote Random it is. Also, every 5 seconds a little message appears above your builder telling you to use the items (until you finish voting, or voting ends).

Sign in to follow this