EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Ochibi

Retardified computer?

I have an HP pavilion a645c, running Windows XP home edition, and something happened that utterly pissed me off.

I went away for a awhile, and when I came back, it was on standby. No biggie. Just hit a button on the keyboard and it should spring back to life. Click. nothing. okay, maybe it didn't register the click. just try again. click. click. click. click. click. click. click. click. click. click. click. click. ok.... what the hell... I tried every button, a ton of combination things like ctrl+alt+del, I double... triple checked my monitor to make sure it hadn't died (HP had a monitor recall a while back due to monitors dieing out.)

Nothing would turn it on, and I lost about two hours of work and creativity.

In the end, I had to hold the on/off button on the computer to force shut down. Now that it's on again, I'm typing this post right away before it might happen again.

I have no idea what the hell just happened, and i'm hella pissed off right now. if it can die out like this, do I have to save every few seconds?

I know it won't do any good, but I have the urge to slam my computer with some textbooks or something. If it was something living and could feel my anger, I'd definately do it.

Anyone know what's wrong with my computer that just went into a short coma?

Actaully happened to my computor 2. For a while back, the computor could randomly make the screen Pink, Blue or Black (The blue was an error message, the black I think were like your comp, and the pink happened last time, the computor just went like off, after that I formated my computor.)

It is fixed for me now, but my computor is still WAY slow then it used to be. For just a 1½ years ago, my computor were like the fastest on B-Net (it felt like that) and I could run every map without laggs. Now it is slow, I thought it would be fixed by format the computor but no.

Something very strange happened to my computor a long while ago you could ask Cisz if he remembers, my computor lagged to every thing, I lagged at snowball fight Element TD EVERYTHING. I didn't play for a week or 2 and the computor slowly regained it's speed (not totally) I think it had become "outburned" nowadays, I run without the battery since it makes my computor hotter faster, If my computor is going hot, I have to shut it down.

I have a quite similar problem on my laptop.

For some reason as soon as the low consumption turns on, my pc stops responding and there is no other way then resetting the whole thing to bring it back to life. (I got Win XP as well)

I deactivated all low consumption settings except the screensaver and now I'm doing fine, maybe this works out on your pc as well.

I suspect that some programs use loops while the laptop tries to turn off the h-discs and even the "fatal error" is not appearing, blocking all input (mouse, keyboard,...) and making it imposible to "wake up" the laptop again. Dunno, but turning off low consumption did work out in my case, avoiding my pc to log out the matrix :wink: .

Guest ma23

i have program called samurize on my comp which is basically a program that shows data on your desktop

i have showing a graph and some text telling me my cpu consumption and memory consumption. i also have time, date and hd available space, but thats less important.

whenever i have a bunch of programs running, obviously my memory and cpu get used up. this way i get a good feel of when i need to start closing programs, what sort of visual settings in games my comp can handle and when my computer is just plain locked up.

eventually, i can see when i need to upgrade my computer or buy a new one outright.

any similar program should help if you determine if your issue is due to insufficient hardware versus malfunctioning hardware.

I don't see a reason for that, my laptop is working at frightening speed, and i'm using a program that cleans up unauthorized programms to run whithout me knowing it. There is till date, no game that i couldnt play, and all were lagfree. Nope, I don't need a new one.

My desktop PC isn't waking up from sleep mode, too. Can only reset or turn it off with a loooong power push. It's either an XP bug or some hardware issue. I have Via-nVidia chipset.

Google is full with people who say their PCs aren't waking up. It can be turned off or changed to hibernation. That works.

Guest sandwiches99

The reset button has been my best friend for the past ten years. I don't even think twice anymore when my computer doesn't respond LOL

Guest sandwiches99
i have program called samurize on my comp which is basically a program that shows data on your desktop

i have showing a graph and some text telling me my cpu consumption and memory consumption. i also have time, date and hd available space, but thats less important.

Not to be rude or anything, but can't you just windows task manager, and check processes/performance to do that?

Its time to get a new one :D

Hehe, I got a new one. (or a new old one :wink: , my brothers)

But this one is strange 2

Somethimes it just freezes for like 5 secs totally freeses verything, and then it wakes upp again as if nothing happened. Strange a bit anoying somethimes cause I'm afraid to get disconnected.

Somethimes it just freezes for like 5 secs totally freeses verything, and then it wakes upp again as if nothing happened.

That sounds like a virus/trojan to me. :(

Guest Jacob

Incase your computer is a laptop, there might have not been enough power to get it out of sleep mode... stand-by function is also a bunch of windows executable's, they can leak or bug out causing it to crash. Sometimes when something crashes or does not respond all it needs is a reboot.

Pressing your computer button once without holding it will usually shut down your computer the same way as usuall when you manually shut it down, although when that doesnt work your computer will be struck at that point untill you either reset it/ turning it off or on.

I never put my computer on stand-by so i didnt have this exact problem, but i did have similair problems and i know what causes them... for example in a Direct3D application like a game, video memory can cause stuff like infinite loops.

If you get stuff like this again, all your computer might need is a firmware upgrade... just plainly software for your mainboard. or either google: "Computer hangs in stand-by".

it hangs 5 seconds etc.

Does your mouse hang for that long ?,

i've had that... you just need a new mouse.

Does it happen when you play a game ?, when framerate lowers for about 4-5 seconds and then resets to normal.

My bro has this, In that case you either have a ram or a video malfunction, it has to do with your hardware, i'm afraid only a replacement can fix the problem.

If your whole computer freezes while your just on windows desktop, then that might be a trojan because i've had one of those before, you also get advertisements and stuff like that ?.

Now it hasn't happened for a while.

But the computer totally freeze mostly ingame, but also somethimes at any time.

At the time the computer makes strange noices.

But somethimes it totally freezes with strange colors on screen. Also this hasn't happened in a very long time.

(no advirtisment)

Sign in to follow this