EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Ochibi

Sandbox mode?

What do you think?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does Element TD have a sandbox mode? By sandbox mode, I mean a mode where someone can test their tower build for damage output.

Here's my suggestion:

- Sandbox as a voting option for game mode

1 - In sandbox, a super high hp granite golem (keep it different than the killer level at the end so that newbies won't have the surprise spoiled :D ) will go from start to finish.

2 - The arcane vaults that dispensed elementals will instead dispense a golem upon clicking.

3 - After the golem makes its way to the end, a message will appear for everyone stating how much damage that player did to their golem, for example:

Player 1 dealt x damage.

or...

Player 2 dealt x damage.

or...

Player 3 dealt x damage. and so on, depending on who sent their golem.

3 - After a player's score is displayed for about 6-12 seconds, the arcane vault will restock a golem for that player so he/she can dispense another one when ready.

4 - maybe while this mode is active, include a large circle of power in the voting area. When the players feel they are ready to go for the real deal, they can send their voter onto the circle of power. When it has been unanimously decided to start the real game, everything will be cleared off, and the game will return to the beginning where the host decides to either 'make the decisions alone' or 'allow a vote'.

What do you think? Combining the detailed tower information available on this site with this sandbox option will make it easier for newbies to start off and it will be easier for even good players to try out a new build.

Sandboxmode= good idea

Golem= bad idea

We dropped many ideas for Bigmac Ronald substitutes because one single spawn is not representative for the effectivity of a build. Therefor, a sandbox mode is a good idea but it would be better if the player can choose freely level, level type, elements and simulate a wave.

So, basically a mode that could work out to introduce the game to newbs as well as working as a test simulation for your build.

It would be nice as well to include the statistics as you mentioned, an option to use original wave settings or randomize other same level creep types, and an option to make the creep level stick or go on. A in-game difficulty change should be possible as well.

This would be really helpful to test the builds. And if you get bored of testing, you can start a real game, nice.

I like the mode you stated, but instead have 5 golems so splash towers have an effect, I don't know where to put this in the game. It sounds like a good idea, but to implent it into a good way is hard, you cannot have it in the start. And in the end there are ronalds.

4 - maybe while this mode is active, include a large circle of power in the voting area. When the players feel they are ready to go for the real deal, they can send their voter onto the circle of power. When it has been unanimously decided to start the real game, everything will be cleared off, and the game will return to the beginning where the host decides to either 'make the decisions alone' or 'allow a vote'.

Huh? Wait a second, what voting area? Are you talking about version 3.0?

Therefor, a sandbox mode is a good idea but it would be better if the player can choose freely level, level type, elements and simulate a wave.

yeah. that's much better.

Huh? Wait a second, what voting area? Are you talking about version 3.0?

yeah. I haven't had time to check out the new one, with SATs, parents being home, and high school work. In other words, it would be nice if during the sandbox mode there was a way to choose to go to the main game.

HAhahahaha.... Oh, it wasn't a joke. (actaully this was, no offence)

You really should try the new one, it is great. The ronald system is a bit reworked.

(hypnotic rolling eyes :shock: ) YOU WANT TO PLAY 4.0, YOU NEED TO PLAY THE PUBLIC BETA, NOW, YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT NOOOOW.

Back seriously, I was thinking of a building where the competitive building is, being able to do the most, gold & level choice working with a chat command and with a "I'm ready to start" skill in the sandbox building to notice all other players that you want to start the game because youre getting bored.

It's a test mode for single players that can work as well on multiplayer as introduction. Basically, you choose most parameters and as soon as the host decides, the wave you set is coming out. No life loss. If you want to start the wave right away you have a button to do so on your own. This mode can be used as well to have a chat with the other plsyers before the game.

Once everybody is ready, the dialog boxes appear to choose difficulty and so on. (On the very start, if you choose "Sandbox difficulty", all other dialog boxes are skipped unless the Sandbox period is finished.

At gamestart the money is turned to 70, all buildings are destroyed and the interest counter starts.

It's like the cheats we used for testing on the private betas but in a elaborated public version so everybody can test their ideas for builds without having to wait till wave x or being under preassure.

Basically in the Sandbox mode:

-You choose your gold, elements, actual creeplevel, creep type,...

-You choose when you are ready to get the wave started.

-As a prelude, there is no life loss.

-As a testing mode, you can get the statistics of your last assault.

-It will not interfere in the real game that starts after it.

would be useful for single-player build testing. maybe multiplayer could be a 10min timer before the real game starts. agreeing with the rest, the creeps that would be sent should be a wave which can be picked by the player.

if the player is allowed to pick the gold, then it may not be what the player would actually have in an actual game (those who worked on private beta would know when the commands were used). what i was thinking for realistic testing is that after the wave is picked, the player has gold corresponding to how much gold he would have in a game without interest and be allowed to overspend slightly.

Do I get this right: You want to add a mini game of 10 minutes or more to an allready to long (60mins) game? And there is no way to prewent this for me if the sandbox mode started? So I can be stuck in this for hours, the actual game never starting, as long as at least one player still enjoys the "pre game fun"?

I don't see any reason to do this at all. :(

the main game would start immediately with the standard votes after the say 10min (or a votable time) timer runs out, so no, players wouldn't be waiting for hours for the main game to start (and i doubt any host would select infinate time in a online multiplayer game, not unless he has nothing better to do, in which case just add the host to your banlist). in any case, i don't forsee this being used much in online games apart from single-player build testing, inhouse games, and practicing troublesome levels for group noleak replays.

Cisz, first:

Its absolutely optional,

secondly,

its mostly thought for testing purposes on single, but can be used on multi to introduce the game to newbies,

third,

the game starts when everybody clicks "Im ready" or the host forces the game to start.

It's an easier way to test placement and build, against a certain wave level and type of creeps, without having to greedisgood for lumber and keysersoze for gold and wait till the expected wave arrives. It would make it easier to learn from your strategic mistakes and polish the placement of players faster.

What's wrong on allowing average players to become better easily? Without having to restart each time they want to test again? And with Statistics men!

And if you fear that some smartasses will abuse of it on b-net testing 10 min. before gamestart then it can be made with a voting end system.

I don't want this to become a standard, so I strongly recommend that starting the mode has to be voted upon.

I don't like that it's possible in multiplayer, to "introduce newbies to the game". They'll only get confused. I didn't even know there were several game option, and was very confused first timei got a hero (first time i playerd hero mode, but i hadn't chosen it). Maybe there's a way to make this only work in a game of one player. or everybody has to vote for the mode to work (planned games). Another mode on the voting in the beginning will just make ppl stop trying to learn all modes. maybe just do it -sandbox

every player has to write it for the mode to work. (too bad ppl don't have an own will:( they follow what the host does and write any command)

The rest of the mode... I'm not sure.. but it would be a bit helpful with a way to set lvl and such in game.

I don't like that it's possible in multiplayer, to "introduce newbies to the game". They'll only get confused. I didn't even know there were several game option, and was very confused first timei got a hero (first time i playerd hero mode, but i hadn't chosen it). Maybe there's a way to make this only work in a game of one player. or everybody has to vote for the mode to work (planned games). Another mode on the voting in the beginning will just make ppl stop trying to learn all modes. maybe just do it -sandbox

every player has to write it for the mode to work. (too bad ppl don't have an own will:( they follow what the host does and write any command)

The rest of the mode... I'm not sure.. but it would be a bit helpful with a way to set lvl and such in game.

I don't really understand what you mean... As far as i can tell, in addition to personal experience, this kind of mode would make it easier for newbies to learn the game.

Ok. I've had a chance to try 4.0, and i like it. For this sandbox idea, I'm thinking:

In the beginning, there's an option where people can vote to play sandbox mode. Players can choose their settings like mentioned above by other posters. I don't know how gold will work, but that'll be implemented, edited, changed, revised, and whatnot until it works right. Also, when players are ready for the real deal, everyone needs to ready-up or the host can just make the final decision.

My idea is that the host can't force-start unless at least half of the players are ready.

1 player in game requires 1 player ready (no duh...)

2 players in game requires 1 player ready (i would assume the 2 people know each other)

3 players in game requires 2 players ready

4 requires 2

5 requires 3

and so forth...

this way, players can't stall indefinately, and the host can't be a :!: and just start when everyone else isn't ready.

(side question: is it okay to swear here, if i just censor 'em all with emoticons? i've seen it done in other forums, and quite frankly, it gets funny at times. XD)

Sign in to follow this