EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mrchak

Tournament Same-Random mode

Guest mrchak

Cisz should comment on this since he's the competitive player master, but what about a 4-element Competitive play mode where the elements are determined randomly, but the method of picking them is somewhat consistent.

Like the game determines what 4 elements will be the main 4 (A, B, C, D), what additional element to add as a fifth (E), and determines which (2?) elements will be summoned as lv3 elements (A, B)

Lv 5,10,15,20 are lv1 of elements A, B, C, D in random order

Lv 25, 30, 35, 40 are lv2 of elements A, B, C, D in random order

lv 45 is element E, randomly picked

lv 50, 55 are elements A, B in random order.

The exact method could be specified by someone who plays tournaments and competitive play, but the idea would be a random 4-element pick.

At the beginning of the game, all players would be told exactly what the order of elements was going to be, so all strategies could be devised up front.

This is a variation on the "host picks" idea, but takes it to a random level.

Guest left.side

I'm a fan of the general idea (or any standarized competitive mode).

How about this. The map randoms four elements as you suggest, and then assigns each player a draft pick. The player with first pick has five seconds to select which of those four will be summoned after round 5, the player with second pick has five seconds to select the round 10 element, etc. Once the last pick has selected his element the order reverses itself, and so on until eleven selections have been made.

So if there are four players and the map randoms NFLD we could have (after the map assigns the pick order):

player4 -- F1

player2 -- D1

player3 -- N1

player1 -- N2 (wants Doom towers so he uses his late position to engineer this...)

player1 -- D2 (...here)

player3 -- L1

player2 -- N2

player4 -- F2

player4 -- F3

etc.

Guest mrchak

Well that could work - I was imagining something that would automate the whole process. What you suggested sounds more complicated than I had imagined. I was thinking more along the lines of a quick random game, little-to-no setup time, that is suitable for competitive play...

Something I realized though; if everybody knows the elements, then they should sell for 75% instead of 100%. Sortof defeats the purpose of random mode.

I'm revising my idea, the same-random competitive mode should be a surprise to all players (elements unknown in advance). All they know is that there will be 4 main elements, and each of them will be level 2, 2 of them will be level 3, and there will be a fifth at level 1.

Guest Trest

nice idea^^

But there is the problem of 75% and of choises

Maybe could you edit the map to this special challenge?

Guest left.side

Aside from removing interest and pures from the mix, there's not much to distinguish that mode from your typical random match. imo, a tournament mode should try to incorporate both pick and random elements.

What if the framework you suggested remained, but at the start of the map players voted for the four core elements? The extra level 1 element could still be picked at random and kept secret until it appeared.

In a tournament setting, say a head to head between the finalists in the winner's/loser's bracket, the player with the better record could be allowed to vote alone for the core four. A sort of home court advantage.

Basically I like the idea of such special game modes very much. I think it would work best, if it would be run by the planned in-map-support for challenges, so that for example the preset elements would be automatically spawned by the map, or limited choices would be changing the elemental summoning center.

As for the proposed build of 4+1 elements, I'd rather go for 4 only, with a chance for interest or essence in it. Mainly because 4 element builds are more limited (6 duals and 4 triples instead of 10 duals and 10 triples).

Guest Warcryptic

I like this idea also, and i agree with Cisz, a 4 element would also be good for practicing for people like meXD. Im not super good in competititve games and i die or leak allot because of little pressure or unknown what to set. So this would also be a perfect way to practice, and then indeed keep it as 4 elements. but Im curious about 1 thing in this aspect. Random so it could happen that this happens:

lvl 5: dark 1

lvl:10: dark 2

lvl 15: dark 3

lvl20:water 1

lvl25: water 2 and so on? Or would you restrict it abit?

Sign in to follow this