EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Karawasa

Element TD Ladder System

As some of you may know, an Element TD ladder system is being developed. The plan is to launch it concurrent with the release of version 4.0.

A ladder system you say?

Yes, the system will utilize a website interface and will be complimented by the game itself. Essentially, short codes will be used between the website and the game, in order to process things like challenges, matches, tournaments etc. For instance, say you arrange a 1v1 match on the site, you will be given a code to input into the game, the winner will be given a code to give to the site, and all will be recorded.

This ladder will keep track of challenges completed by users, points awarded for matches won (1v1, multiplayer), and any tournaments completed. This does sound complex, but thanks to Magicalhacker, it is a very real possibility.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

Guest Warcryptic

This could go quite wrong, just to get 1st place, 2nd acc (like bots) en lose lose lose the bot and you get points. Or someone that plays ALLOT will allways be on number 1 if he wins that is. He plays allot so more chance to more points. Any ideas in solving this?

it s a good idea ;)

That would work as the league of DOTA I think?

We prepare the game by the site and we are going to put it the resultat after ?

we can join the replay too ? for challenges

Guest frankie4fingers

i like the idea

it sounds very nice to me

Guest Warcryptic

Maybe to put the number of times the player played it, and maybe put classes from so many to that many games. So that it is also good to see who's indeed a good player and not just played allot or cheated it somehow like i gave ideas from my message before.

Cheating - we will need some sort of anti greedisgood check. And we will need a working definition of stalling too. :?

Guest GipFace

Ladder is stupid. The worldwide EleTD ranking should be based on tournament results only.

Owning 5000 noobs is nothing. Owning 1 good player is something.

Guest Sancdar

A ladder system would bring greater awareness of the EleTD community. If you get a rank code after a game with a bot to submit it to, that shows you something.

Ladder is not meant to show the best player, it's meant to reward activity, and to help build a comunity.

Guest Akatsuki

I just think it's something fun and eye-candy. Pretty much saying you'll have a ladder on this map. It just sounds pretty cool. Some random guy would try it just to check it out.

And also owning 5000 noobs sounds better. If I played a random game of EleTD and said, "I beat Cisz!" You'll be getting lots of "Who the hell is Cisz?"

Ladder is stupid. The worldwide EleTD ranking should be based on tournament results only.

Owning 5000 noobs is nothing. Owning 1 good player is something.

Why do you make such an unjustified assumption? There will of course be a weight system implemented. Someone high ranked beating a noob will be worth little, and vice versa.

Guest GipFace

Okay, here's some valid criticism...

Due to ckick, I propose that if red chooses ladder mode, he cannot play.

Yes, this would limit the popularity of the mode, but what's to stop someone from hosting then ckicking all other players for the win?

@ Gipface - It's easy enough to prevent that.

What we came up with so far is this:

If one (any, say pink?) player enters a command like this: "-ladder adfg653j" (the last part beeing a code he got of the website or from the bot), the game prompts all other players "Player [playername] wants to play a ladder match. If you accept this challenge, enter a valid ladder code." Now all players can do their "-ladder 5ja5h33". If after this two or more players entered a valid ladder code, they and only they have a ladder match.

To report a ladder game result, the winning player (or maybe losing player, we will see into that) has to report a different code back. Something like "4eH2}". And ofc this "game result code" is only generated if one of the laddering players scores a win, and that disallows kicking an oponent in a ladder game.

Your post raises an interesting point:

To prevent the host kicking all other ladder oponents, leaving only the weakest one in game, the game result code should onle be generated if none of the laddering players is kicked during that match. Kiking non-laddering players or kicking a ladder player and finishing the game as a non ladder match are perfectly ok ofc.

Thanks for the tip. :)

In multiplayer there is no need for that, right?

And for all single player games that give points for the ladder, like challenges, there will have to be a "no cheatin check", and that includes "no stalling".

Guest Sancdar

Considering that you can (and already do) have triggers based on chat commands, I really don't see the difficulty in stopping greedisgood and whosyourdaddy and any other cheats that might be used.

I think you can force a player to write a text.

Ex.

A player writes whosyourdaddy ->

Force that player to write whosyourdaddy.

A player types greedisgood ->

then reduce that players gold and lumber by 500

A player types greedisgood X ->

then reduce that players gold and lumber by X.

Have to be some way to check if you play multiplayer, so you don't lose gold youst by typing greedisgood for fun.

I'd love to have a custom sound in the map, that goes *#§%&, if you do something stupid. Similiar to the sound in starcraft.

Isn't there a "no you don't" kind of sound in tft?

Edit - I'm serching for sounds in the editor right now, and maybe this could be used:

sound/interface/creepaggrowhat1.wav

sound/interface/warning.wav

sound/ambient/doodadeffects/gateepicbash.wav

I found some sounds also:

Internal\Sounds\Ambient\DoodadEffect\Warlockappears.Waw

Internal\Units\NightElf\Herowarden\Herowardenpissed2.waw

Internal\Units\Orc\HeroShadowhunter\Shadowhunterpissed4.waw

Internal\Units\Human\Heromountainking\heromountinkingyesattack2.waw

Internal\Units\Undead\banshee\bansheeyesattack3.waw

Guest Sancdar
I think you can force a player to write a text.

Ex.

A player writes whosyourdaddy ->

Force that player to write whosyourdaddy.

A player types greedisgood ->

then reduce that players gold and lumber by 500

A player types greedisgood X ->

then reduce that players gold and lumber by X.

Have to be some way to check if you play multiplayer, so you don't lose gold youst by typing greedisgood for fun.

I'd rather just have cheats disable any ranking or whatever.

Guest Sancdar

I didn't say anything about using sounds one way or the other...

We don't need to discuss how to help the ladder function, that will be taken care of. What we are concerned about is whether people will enjoy this feature, and how many players will actually utilize it.

I'm playing ladder in mpdtd, and a score is very motivating for me.

Any other players around here that have ladder experience?

Sign in to follow this