EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Karawasa

DotA

I used to enjoy DotA a lot, it was all I played for several years. Then I started to get into map making, and started enjoying the game less and less. At this point, I acquired a new view on it. I still believe it is a quality map, but I would like to see less DotA games hosted publicly. There are a lot of great custom maps out there, but a lot of them don't get a chance to shine.

What do you guys think?

Guest Sancdar

DotA bothers me a little because it's such a ridiculously different game at a competitive level. At this point, pubs are basically worthless or luck-based. If I choose one of my good heroes, it's unlikely anyone else in the game will challenge me and so I don't have any challenge or fun. If I don't, there's still not enough going on to improve my game at a competitive level, and depending on my luck in ally skill, the game is determined. At a competitive level, I'm not good enough with enough of the powerhouse heroes to be first-string for my clan, so I tend to just fill in for scrims if one of our guys is missing. The problem there is that because I'm not one of the regulars I usually get stuck on ward duty and playing bait, so once again I don't really get to improve my skills. I'm just in a DotA rut right now :(

Guest Warcryptic

I don't even play dota, don't even know how it goes. The only thing i notice is that they are hosted ALLOT, and it's annoying, you wanna join a game, wrong click, you chose dota:S.

There are indeed many good games without a chance to shine. I think its a miracle that etd got his fame, its quite hard to attain that as a tft custom. And still it isnt hosted enough, if i wanna join a etd game ( i cant host) i still have to wait 5 to 10 minutes. That's quite annoying, but for dota you immediatly have a chose of 5 games or something, and for what. Is it that good?

I tried dota, sucked, and changed the topic. :wink:

But what good maps are there? Any example? People keep telling me about great maps, but when I play them, they are ugly, buggy, unballanced, have one sollution, come in dozens of crappy versions, don't have a comunity, ended dev like 2 years ago, etc..

Guest Sancdar

I mostly play TDs and AoSs (like DotA), so that's all I can really judge. Most of both aren't that good.

lol i play dota a lot

and since many time

i know all heroes and magics

all items and combo items

its very good map a game on the game

the last release are many changes and news heros its good ;)

if u dont like public games for dota they are a league for play on dota with no leavers or laggers

details http://www.dota-league.com/?section=mod ... ant_single

for players who dont know DOTA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DotA_Allstars

heroes http://www.dota-allstars.com/heroes

items http://www.dota-allstars.com/items

Guest Henry-19

well i agree that dota is played wayyyy to much, its getting quite annoying to see that evry single custom game list is filled with atleast 75% dota games... and i heard its worse on the american servers (not sure though).

it basically pusehes out the other maps, and takes away what is basically the best part of wc3, the CUSTOM MAPS!!! notice maps in plural... not just map... as in dota map!

yes i must admit i play it evry now and then, maybe 1-2 times a week, so i guess im a bit of a hypocrit, but my all time favorite map, battle tanks (yes im sry. but ele td is a close second^^) is getting pushed out because of dota and that just plain sucks, same with ele td for that matter, or atleast dota is preventing maps to grow, maybe not excatly lose players.

atm im making my own custom map, and im putting a helluva lot of work into... but im afraid that all my work is prolly gona be futile because it will never get a chance to shine because evryone plays dota, im sure this wont happen with ele td cause it already has a solid player base, but new maps are pretty much chanceless :(

Guest Akatsuki

I personally don't like DotA. I tried playing it and I sucked really badly. So I started playing "noobs only". Needless to say that there is always one guy who isn't a noob and then ruins the fun for everyone else. I tried the AI version of DotA. I didn't like it. But I feel this in a lot of other AoS maps to. So I guess that I'm just not an AoS guy. I do play it one on one at times with my friends. But it's mostly because it's boring to chat and do nothing. Like even now I'm watching TV shows while post this.

apparently i don't have much problem filling eletd games... i get a full server within 3 minutes most of the time...(i host all my games) ... but dota is one of the few maps that i play regularly.. apart from eletd.. with elim tourney/pass the bomb to fill in time...

Guest minddrifter

When I make Element TD games they are usually full within seconds. It's def a popular game.

When I make Element TD games they are usually full within seconds. It's def a popular game.

Glad to hear it, hopefully 4.0 will work to continue this :).

and if u host a vh/sr some good players comes now

it s very cool

more peoples understand "vh sr " ect...

but many want heros too lol

but we donnt see a same numbers of ele td game wich of dota game ;)

but i hope 4.0 or final change that ;)

Yes, it's true, the skill level of public players seems to grow over the months.

Guest akabegformercyy

lol i tried dota, and i sucked, and it seemed boring

anyways, i wish i could host :(

cisz tried to help me once, but it didnt work

o well

anyways, usually its pretty hard to join a game for me, as not many people host it, and when they do its either a crappy version, or full

so i mostly resort to single player, which is fine for me

no laggy people to slow down the game :)

Guest GipFace

I don't play DotA because...

1) If you're good, you're ckicked

2) If you suck, you're ckicked

3) If you talk, you're ckicked

4) If your team is winning and your team doesn't have the host, you're ckicked

So the only way to play is to be somewhere in the middle and always lose.

EleTD isn't popular enough for ckicking (at least on Azeroth), so in a way, I like that it plays second fiddle to DotA, Footmen Frenzy, and the like.

Guest Sancdar

Uh...I've gotten ckicked like 3 times in the last couple years from DotA. I've gotten ckicked once in the last year of EleTD. Ratios = not that different!

Guest Cataras
1) If you're good, you're ckicked

2) If you suck, you're ckicked

3) If you talk, you're ckicked

4) If your team is winning and your team doesn't have the host, you're ckicked

So the only way to play is to be somewhere in the middle and always lose.

With all due respect this is complete nonsense. Of course this might have happened a few times in DotA history but no way this is the common case.

The bigger problems are leavers and feeders, intentionally or just because they are noobs. That's why i don't play many public games of DotA. But then there are many good leagues where its possible for everyone who is not a complete idiot to get vouched.

Cataras

Cataras is right, that only happens in public games. Go to a private channel/league and you won't encounter that. However, you will find a bunch of assholes.

Guest Sancdar

It doesn't even happen in pubs. Maybe -em games or something, I dunno.

Guest MaoZedong

Public games are not that bad tbh... well some are hillarious, but most are fine these days.

Guest Dark-Death
well i agree that dota is played wayyyy to much, its getting quite annoying to see that evry single custom game list is filled with atleast 75% dota games... and i heard its worse on the american servers (not sure though).:(

Thats not true, because I have 15 screenies of where there isn't a DotA Hosted.

Guest Timberwolf
well i agree that dota is played wayyyy to much, its getting quite annoying to see that evry single custom game list is filled with atleast 75% dota games... and i heard its worse on the american servers (not sure though).:(

Thats not true, because I have 15 screenies of where there isn't a DotA Hosted.

In what universe?

An absolute *minimum* of 65% of custom games on US West are DoTA 6.49b right now, and I've gone through stretches of watching literally 100 DoTA games fly by waiting for someone to host a TD... any TD. Sometimes I get desperate and even join Mafa TD games just to watch people cuss out whoever picked red and gets us all killed before wave 21.

DoTA is okay I guess. It attracts a ton of failed medical experiments, AKA teenagers that like swearing at people every 5 seconds, though. Granted you get that anywhere online these days, and rightly so the internet has a bad reputation for it. But since DoTA is the most popular, it stands to reason it also attracts the most people that need a serious re-education in human behaviour. I find the game itself is decent enough, though not nearly good enough to justify the raw percentage of custom games it gets. It's never hooked me nearly as much as the TD concept though.

EDIT: It's also way, way, waaaaaay past time that Blizzard split the public custom games into at least two channels that could be very easily accesible at one button click. A DoTA specific channel would be grand and would be tremendously nice in cleaning up scanning through the list.

Look at it this way.

How many games would be hosted if there was no Dota?

Dota is keeping a part of Wc3 alive.

And it doesn't suck, I admit there are alot of players who kick for no reason and hate noobs.

It's not the map that's bad is it? It's some (not all) players that is mean.

The map is actually really balanced. (exept Pro vs Noob)

I can admit I don't like when beginners join the game and ruin it and still saying that they are pro. If they say: Hi, it's my first Dota game. or Sorry if I am a bit noobish but I haven't played Dota so much.

Don't missjudge me there, I mean players who can't admit that they are beginners is the one I don't like. If a player admits: Yes, I'm a beginner. Then it's okey. (for me)

Guest Sancdar

Beginners are at a huge disadvantage now compared to a few years ago when I first started playing DotA, because the average level of skill even in pubs has gone up. There's also a lot more heroes and items to learn.

Sign in to follow this