EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Ubernuber

Tool: the Tower Selector

Hey all.

I was registered at the old forum way back in FT-time. I was delighted to see one of my favorite custom maps back in action in SC2 and played some. At some point I got back into my old habit of drawing up huge lists with possible builds and the towers one gets access to with certain combinations. After a while I thought "this should be pretty easy to program into an applet" and thus was born the Tower Selector.

I wrote the code over the last two days. It's not so pretty, but mainly functional with one or two bugs relating to resetting some settings.

I'm posting here to get some ideas for how to make the program better (both from a usability as well as a prettyness perspective). The current usecase is "I absolutely want towers x at level 2 and y at level 2. What other towers do I get automatically?". Towers in red can't be taken at a higher level (due to element pick restrictions or because they're at maximum already).

Please don't hesitate to tell me what would work and look better or is more sensible.

Best,

Ubernuber

P.S.: Once it's in a usable state, I'd like to get permission to post the runnable jar here, or alternatively to host an applet on the official site.

post-4010-1310048246_thumb.png

P.S.: Once it's in a usable state, I'd like to get permission to post the runnable jar here, or alternatively to host an applet on the official site.

An applet on the main site would be nifty. It would go well with the "Builds" page.

Version 2: prettified with graphics, eradicated bugs.

Usage:

- Select the towers you absolutely must have (in the upper list)

- fine tune via clicking the element icons (lower right)

The lower list shows you the levels of all towers you have with these picks.

Known problems: selecting picks via the element buttons and then changing a must-have-tower in the upper list resets element picks to those selected via the upper list.

post-4010-1310115242_thumb.png

post-4010-1310128454_thumb.png

Update: Version 3 (release candidate)

Added functionality:

- Added drop-down boxes with all possible 3-, 4- and 5-element builds. Resets previous choices.

- Tower icons and names can be clicked to increase or lower their must-have level(left and right click; equivalent to raising or lowering counter; does not necessarily change current level; works in upper as well as lower area).

- Element icons can be clicked to increase its picks by one (within the limits of available picks and must-have tower restrictions, i.e. can't lower element picks beneath minimum requirements).

Use cases:

- "I absolutely want tower(s) X at level(s) Y. What other towers do I have automatically, and what can I get with the remaining picks?"

- "What towers do I have access to with DELW? What are the possible variations?"

The two above use cases can be mixed, but the "must-have" towers always override the rest, possibly resetting other choices made beforehand to the minimum reqs for the currently selected must-haves.

You find attached a ZIP file containing a standalone .jar application (requiring a Java Runtime Environment to run) as well as the applet source code. You can edit the source to your heart's content, but please credit me as Ubernuber.664 (EU) if you redistribute it. Consider the terms of my sharing this software as a Creative Commons nc-sa-by. (If you just want to use the applet, you can forget this blather immediately.)

post-4010-1310283038_thumb.png

post-4010-1310283135_thumb.png

Element TD Build Selector.zip

Sign in to follow this