EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
gwho

Flooding Tower

The CLAWWWW has expressed his dislike for this tower and how it was a merely filler appendix. https://forums.eletd.com/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=21185

We basically have permission and a commission to flood in some ideas to help remake it (hohoho pun originally not intended, then once discovered switched to intended. aren't I's clever)

Ok. I felt like the name was totally unfitting. a flood makes you think of AOE and covering a large area...(kind of like the current torrent tower, anyone?)

Mechanics:

Anyways, the mechanics I was envisioning for this tower was kind of like Kunka's ability in Dota. A low attack rate AOE tower that summons a geyser to shoot up from the targetted location. Damage will be a small AOE, but this next effect will be single target: What it does is throws one target into the air vertically, essentially holding him in place (horizontally) and puts him further back in line. Thus it's great against stopping single targets by delaying it. It also is indirectly good for AOE b/c it will put that target clumped with other targets further back in line. (invulnerability while in the air might want to be considered for balance purposes). Other clever uses would be to keep the haste tower's buff alive. Not exactly a slow tower, but causes clumping in a unique and limited manner, while having potentially very kickass animation.

Naming:

call this torrent/tsunami

call the current one flooding/tidal

OK you can see how this is essentially a geyser, or a torrent. Rename this tower to Torrent/Tsunami tower, and rename the current one to Flooding/Tidal tower. It fits it better. This tower will be a "sudden violent moving stream/jet of water". But a skill with a huge ass aoe that u can charge up (as if it was charge up and held back a dam and thenreleased) is more fitting of the name Flooding/Tidal tower. (Tidal just sounded cooler than Drowning. credits to marche00123 https://forums.eletd.com/index.php?s=&s...st&p=21192)

Would anyone like to take the ball from here and come up with ideas for the upgraded version of this tower?

I would like to keep it as some sort of single target finisher because that's the role it was initially meant for and there are few good choices for this outside of light ATM. I propose the following:

Ebb

Each hit reduces the target's movement speed by 5/15%. This ability stacks up to 5 times.

sort of a 'finisher support' for your final pass, and makes getting it early an excellent choice for easier boss killing

I would like to keep it as some sort of single target finisher because that's the role it was initially meant for and there are few good choices for this outside of light ATM. I propose the following:

Ebb

Each hit reduces the target's movement speed by 5/15%. This ability stacks up to 5 times.

sort of a 'finisher support' for your final pass, and makes getting it early an excellent choice for easier boss killing

a finisher, eh. hmmm

what does 5/15% mean?

1/3 of a percent stacking 5 times so 5/3 percent slowing? i can't imagine this is what you meant.

queston:

why do we want it to be a finisher? do u guys think about the elemental combinations and what other towers go with other towers for a certain combination?

cause according to dg, it seems like a certain combination totally out does other combos. i dont exactly feel the towers are distributed as such either.

like if you go NW, you can get this tower, celerity tower, ephemeral tower, and torrent tower. 3 of those are all single targeting towers. doesnt' seem very distributed to me. Having yet another single target tower for going NW is really beating the dead horse 3 times over. It's nice that certain elements have certain themes, mechanics-wise, but too much of that just leads to avoiding certain element combos altogether. i'd like to see at least one of these three NW towers turn into something interesting, less redundant, and with better distribution of tower types for going differnet elements.

example of a heavily favored combo:

FE

this leads to haste, quck, and forge. hell freaken yeah. u can branch out with a 3rd or 4th element, but the "core" towers of these elements are really good. but the "core" of going NW is really crappy.

General note: for balancing, choosing two elements, and giving each combo reasonably distributed triple towers is a good way to go about balancing the distribution of "good" triple towers.

LD

clone, oblit, and 3 other triple towers that are all generic damage towers.

imo the 3 other towers suck, but the fact is that all the triple towers are of the same role: small aoe dps.

Is this the fashion in which triple towers were intended to be distributed - similar roles for a given combination?

cause NW for celerity, eph, flood, torr just seems like... why should i even get this? you get spring, which is the saving grace. i suppose if you're going to use torrent, ok, but idk why people would even bothter with the other three triple towers.

Yeah insta-kill is one of those things where it's either awesomely OP or complete shit. There's very little in-between.

I'd like to get confirmation from Kara as well about whether we're open to changing this tower's role before I start throwing out mechanics proposals. The knock-up with temp invulnerability is a cool suggestion :)

Yes, the role is up for grabs. Just needs to be a "damage" tower. Things like knocking into the air are really stuns, and thus a form of slow (and therefore a support). Those ideas won't work.

Ebb

a finisher, eh. hmmm

what does 5/15% mean?

1/3 of a percent stacking 5 times so 5/3 percent slowing? i can't imagine this is what you meant.

Tower has two levels. I thought it was fairly simple pointing to the convention of writing first level first and second level second. My bad. I should have clarified.

queston:

why do we want it to be a finisher? do u guys think about the elemental combinations and what other towers go with other towers for a certain combination?

cause according to dg, it seems like a certain combination totally out does other combos. i dont exactly feel the towers are distributed as such either.

like if you go NW, you can get this tower, celerity tower, ephemeral tower, and torrent tower. 3 of those are all single targeting towers. doesnt' seem very distributed to me. Having yet another single target tower for going NW is really beating the dead horse 3 times over. It's nice that certain elements have certain themes, mechanics-wise, but too much of that just leads to avoiding certain element combos altogether. i'd like to see at least one of these three NW towers turn into something interesting, less redundant, and with better distribution of tower types for going differnet elements.

Alright, this is good thinking. I was thinking of 'how do I make this tower do what it already does, but better and cooler'. Gonna go back to the drawing board.

EDIT: New idea.

Flooding/Drowning Tower

Damage 350/1850 (est.)

Speed 0.66 (est.)

Range 10

AOE: 2.25/4.5

Rising Tide

Creeps hit directly leave a trail which lasts for 3 seconds. Creeps on the trail are slowed by 5/15% and receive 5/15% of their maximum health as damage over 3 seconds.

numbers rough but you get the idea

What about a simple concept, you can reduce it's attackspeed to increase damage or increase it to decrease damage.

(min cooldown 0,31 and max = 1,5 (or more? but no towers use more then 1,5)) the attack models size is dependand on the ammount of damage it does.

Just needs to be a "damage" tower.

why may i ask? simply just dont want support?

Just needs to be a "damage" tower.

why may i ask? simply just dont want support?

Another support would ruin the balance we tried to achieve between the different builds. They are dispersed in a certain way.

Well Kara did say the role is up for grabs. I imagine we'd be open to a good pitch for a splash tower :)

Indeed, a good splash tower for this slot wouldn't be bad at all. Definitely still interested in more ideas (single target is ok too).

What about a simple concept, you can reduce it's attackspeed to increase damage or increase it to decrease damage.

(min cooldown 0,31 and max = 1,5 (or more? but no towers use more then 1,5)) the attack models size is dependand on the ammount of damage it does.

Could do a variation of that. Faster attack = less splash, slower attack = more splash. Thoughts?

Maybe this could be a tower that I suggested that takes more micro to use:

Manual-shooting tower (or one where you can select a point to automatically and continually shoot at) targeting a point, with fairly long range, but slow projectile speed.

AoE can be anything from very small (will only hit 1 target), to quite large (depends on the skill level desired. I think large AoE could be a bit too problematic if auto-shoot was possible).

edit: oh wait, is that the jet tower? I've never used the jet tower

With regards to the idea of dealing a percentage of target's max health... no way would it be balanced. You could just build 7 towers spaced out, and kill all monsters, regardless of how high their health is. Technically, it also bypasses 50% damage elements, unless it was modified to deal half the percentage to such targets.

Anyone against the Magnify-esque idea? Faster attack speed = less splash, and slower attack speed = more splash. Any other last minute ideas?

just found a good reason why flooding should be AOE:

the two double-slow tower element combinations:

NWE + D combo gives you ephemeral. add in dark element, it gives you 2 slow towers, plus flooding.

WFN + L gives you celerity, (sort of similar to ephemeral), 2 slow towers, but this time torrent, which is AOE-tastic.

Also, a name like "flooding" and being single target is quite unfitting.

Yet another seemingly supportive reason to go with the aforementioned idea!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but whenever I think of single target finishers, I always use the D+N Disease tower for that role. I honestly never use the Flood Tower, and changing it to an AOE tower is always welcomed in my books.

Yet another seemingly supportive reason to go with the aforementioned idea!

lol it IS supportive! =]

Sign in to follow this