EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Chiquihuite

[Focused Testing] Magnify Tower (DF) - Round 2!

Hey guys,

We've completely re-designed Magnify Tower and we'd like to hear your thoughts. All you have to do is play at least one game of EleTD 0.5 and make use of the Magnify Tower (and its upgrades) during the game. Once that's done, post your thoughts here in roughly the following format-

1. What wave did you begin using it on?

2. Did you enjoy the "adjustable" aspect of the tower?

3. Was the tower "fun" to use?

4. Fun aside, did it feel like an effective choice? Was it worth the investment?

5. Is there anything you didn't like about it? If so, what would you do differently?

Beyond that. Feel free to contribute any other thoughts, screenshots, replays, or anything else you want to share. We want to make sure every one of our towers adds something meaningful to the game and your feedback will be a major part of achieving that goal before release :)

1.) since i wanted to try both new towers in the first game, first i rushed for quark and than continued with magnify. That means i got to it on lvl 20. From than i kept using it for the rest of the game.

2.) yes, i somewhat did =) It reminds me of the old laser tower (from WC3 EleTD, lower demage with higher distance) except for you have to micro it. That means you can tell it "attack only the close creeps, so the demage is higher", but if you dont use it well, it becomes uneffective.

3.) yes, i like the idea of a micro tower, unless there are too many of them.

4.) it seemed pretty effective to me. I didnt rush to it, but still the demage with the lowest range was high enough to instant-kill a creep and it was an amazing leak-catcher.

5.) theres only one thing really - i think 5 layers are a little too much. 3 would be just enough in my opinion, since the difference is not that high and eventualy you end up losing only layers 1 (when there are still some creeps running around it) and 5 (when the only creeps left are too far away).

Also it doesnt show range, which is a quite significant problem for this kind of tower.

4.) it seemed pretty effective to me. I didnt rush to it, but still the demage with the lowest range was high enough to instant-kill a creep and it was an amazing leak-catcher.

This is what we were going for with this tower in this design and the original one. I'm glad to hear it's actually fulfilling that role now.

5.) theres only one thing really - i think 5 layers are a little too much. 3 would be just enough in my opinion, since the difference is not that high and eventualy you end up losing only layers 1 (when there are still some creeps running around it) and 5 (when the only creeps left are too far away).

Yeah it was going to be 7 at first, but we figured that was too much and throttled it down to 5 to see how it feels. We're still open to the possibility of tweaking it. There's a balance there between making each increment feel meaningful and still having adequate flexibility/choice. We'll talk it over once we've had a chance to play with it for a few days.

Also it doesnt show range, which is a quite significant problem for this kind of tower.

This is a bug and will be fixed.

This is a bug and will be fixed.

I removed range because I couldn't figure out how to make the range change when you focus/unfocus. But, I agree this should be included if possible.

It's absolutely doable. I've seen it done in Star Battle, for example. I probably just need to re-work the tower a bit to support it.

btw i found out that there is also a tower like the old laser here - the celerity tower. Its not a problem tho because they are on the oposite side of the techtree =) (and there are more pairs like this)

Edit: No, it actualy has the oposite effect. Sorry, my bad.

Sign in to follow this