EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
jolin012

Who(We) wants a Tournament No.2 ?(!)

Hi everyone who wants a ele td tournament No.2!

first of all I'd like to thank cisz and everyone else who arraged the last tournament.

This thread I create to speed things up a bit, and the next tournament might come sooner. Because it's easier to plan it when knowing that there are very many who want to play. Right? :wink: And at least 8 players must have signed up to play before the date can be set.

So, the faster you want the tournament, the faster you should answer this thread that you'll gladly play :D

I've got to know that this next one will be more official than the last one (that basicly was to celebrate clan etd) and ofcourse it'll be at least the same fun.

Here and now I'm signing up myself that I'll gladly play.

Guest Retaliate

I'm really looking forward to a tournament, missed the first one!

Ah - that's good to know. :)

As for "official", I was thinking along the lines of announcing it on different forums and tft scene sites, to attract more players. But no announcement w/o a date ofc.

Guest bestever111
Hi everyone who wants a ele td tournament No.2!

first of all I'd like to thank cisz and everyone else who arraged the last tournament.

This thread I create to speed things up a bit, and the next tournament might come sooner. Because it's easier to plan it when knowing that there are very many who want to play. Right? :wink: And at least 8 players must have signed up to play before the date can be set.

So, the faster you want the tournament, the faster you should answer this thread that you'll gladly play :D

I've got to know that this next one will be more official than the last one (that basicly was to celebrate clan etd) and ofcourse it'll be at least the same fun.

Here and now I'm signing up myself that I'll gladly play.

hey! u wanna find out a thing?

No, it's not. It will be vh sr as long as we can't get 20 players that can play vhx consitantly.

Maybe you should form a clan and start teaching? :wink:

Guest GipFace

Well, I did post a teaching replay in the replay thread.

On a related note, there is someone called Mentos- who has beaten it. He is a very good player, as we split two games; I won (cleared level 60) when he died and he won when I died (I foolishly lost 30 life because I had light arrows vs earth). We are now mutual friends.

Mentos- beat it with Storm+Flamespewing+Pure Earth+Enchantment+Acid+Sludge. He had dismissed Sludge before my win, but after seeing me clean house with Mires, he changed his mind.

XVH SR all but solves the Ronald problem because in most cases, no one will ever get to Ronald anyway.

Guest Tigershark]T-T[

I'm in, and this time I'll hopefully NOT miss the date.... :lol:

Guest Sancdar

I wouldn't recommend vhx for a tournament because it greatly restricts your freedom in the opening. It's more fun to watch people try various openings, interest whore, etc. rather than have to do certain things to keep from early leaking.

It is nice to see so many people interested in the tournament. For those that are, I have good news for you. A ladder system is being planned for the game, to coincide with the release of 4.0. It would be website based, but would link into the game as well. Essentially it offers a way to get credit for challenges completed, games won, tournaments played etc.

Guest GipFace

I wouldn't recommend vhx for a tournament because it greatly restricts your freedom in the opening.

After level 3, you are free to keep a permanent defense on the right side of the map or keep using the two cluster method.

Interest whoring is possible. Aside from the fact that the creeps are spread out making early cannons useless, the creeps are only 25% tougher. That's not really that much more, although it does ruin the damage efficiency of most towers. Instead of 8 elemental arrows required to clear lv 18 (Knights) without a leak, one needs 10.

The opening for the first 9 levels in VH SR isn't that hot either... 1 element arrow takes at position IV takes out levels 6-9.

It's more fun to watch people try various openings, interest whore, etc. rather than have to do certain things to keep from early leaking.

I find it much more interesting watching players constantly switch midgame defenses in desperation, which is much more likely in XVH than VH. Mass Money tower? Ain't going to work! If the game randoms an instant kill tower, it'll be refreshing to see people actually use them. I was disappointed that instant kill wasn't even used once in the last tournament.

Guest boomboom1

Ei can i get the time and everything... i really wana join da tourney or in case spectate :lol:

@boomboom1 If you read this thread very carfully, you will notice that is meant to force the tournament organizer (that's me) into setting a date. :wink:

@boomboom1 If you read this thread very carfully, you will notice that is meant to force the tournament organizer (that's me) into setting a date. :wink:

Chop Chop!

Guest Warcryptic

Anyway im in, but theres a big chance that if you wanna do this tour soon ill have probs with working, so that i wont be able to enter. I hope that we first discuss this all well so that everyone will be able to enter.

About xVH, never did it, but vh i can finish easily (sr i mean, pick is even easier), and i think there are more that have probs with that, were not all uber pro's, so we need to watch out for that.

Guest Sancdar
If the game randoms an instant kill tower, it'll be refreshing to see people actually use them. I was disappointed that instant kill wasn't even used once in the last tournament.

For some reason my last 4 random games have all started $-N-D-W-E...

Ok - Let's start some planning here.

Imo there are four tournament modes that could be used for the next one.

• , thats what we played last time. You loose once, you are out.

Double elimination. Thats a modification of single elimination. A player has to loose two games, to be out of the tournament. Problem with this is, this takes about twice the time of a single elimination. At some point (the final at latest) all would have to wait for the slower half of the tournament (the loosers bracket) to finish before the next game can be played. Or alternatively there would be a waiting time for the winning players after each round. Either way, it takes about 6 hours for 3 rounds instead of 3 hours (without long waiting or preparation times and an average game time of one hour). Another problem might be that the last game of the winners bracket will tend to have the best two players, the final is less likely to see the winner of the winners bracket loose, and so the whole "loosers bracket" and "final" buisness may feel a bit pointless.

The other two modes involve the swiss system. In the swiss system all players play all rounds. You can't be beaten out of the event. The players of each round are paired with players that got the same score so far (or at least a similiar one). If you loose, you opponents get weaker. If you win, they get stronger. You never play the same opponent again.

• We could either do a minimal swiss tournament, that is we play the same number of rounds that would be required in a single elimination tournament. So if, say, 16 players competed, we'd have 4 rounds. All players stay in the event, but only those that never loose have a chance on the title. With one loss you are still in, but can't win first place anymore. This makes the games of the players with one or more loss kind of pointless for the overall outcome of the event, altough every player can still make wins and gain points, ranks and fame. In this version we get a final, pretty much as in the single elimination.

Or we could do a swiss system with extra rounds. Ofc this would require more time to do. The advantage of this is that for N extra rounds there is chance that a player with N losses still wins the event. For example, if we play swiss for 5 rounds with 16 players, there will be one player with a perfect score after the first 4 rounds, and 3 that lost only once. If in the fifth round the leading player looses and the others win, they can catch up with him. As with the double elimination, this is ofc theory, as in most cases the 4th round will see the strongest player in the lead, and since he can't face the same player twice, he will probably play the last round against someone that will be weaker than his fourth round opponent.

All of this are 1on1 tournament systems. I'd like to go for one of the swiss versions, but with ffa games. The players would gain points matching their ranks from each game. Maybe 4 points for last one standing, 2 points for second to that and 1 point for third place. We might have to be a bit liberal with the "not the same player twice" rule, as ffa's tend to get each player meeting each pretty fast.

The special thing about an ffa swiss would be, that I never heard of anything like this. We would be pioneers. Developing the new format of ffa swiss. We will be the first to suffer from it's yet unknown problems. But our efforts would go down as the beginning of a new epoch.. :lol::wink:

Guest frankie4fingers

"swiss system" sounds nice to me ;)

Sign in to follow this