EleTD.com
Karawasa

Tower Ideas

Here are some ideas I came across. Do you guys like any of them? What about your own?

A tower with a barrage like ability. It deals decent damage, but if more creeps enter its range, it shoots at all of them. Every extra arrow shot reduces the tower dmg by 10%. Meaning that its more effective vs a single creep.

Fires a slow moving missile that will split in half every second, each time targeting a new unit. Missile would go beyond the unit targeted if closer than max range. The split missiles would have an acquisition range.

How about a beam that targets a unit, dealing no damage. The beam builds up and when it is no longer targeting the unit (unit is out of range or dies) then the beam overloads, dealing aoe damage based on how long it was targeting the unit. The idea is just a sort of delayed damage effect.

Bacause I am too lazy to write a new description I'll copy and paste the irc :P (We were talking about a Oblivion replacement.)

<kaini> I've got a quite experimantal, maybe interresting idea for a oblivion replacement

<kaini> A tower that can lay mines

<Karawasa> how would it work specifically

<kaini> I mean I would require micro as before

<kaini> But I guess lots more simple and interresting

<kaini> Whats about all lats say 10 secounds a mine unit - you can move somewhere and then dig in

<kaini> or something like that^^

<Karawasa> interesting

<kaini> okay 10 secs is too fast

<kaini> but you got the point

<Karawasa> ya

<Karawasa> so basically it does

<Karawasa> massive damage in a small AoE every so often

<kaini> yes

<kaini> in a very flexible way

<kaini> but the flexibilty needs mico

<Karawasa> i like it

<Karawasa> should be able to undig perhaps

<Karawasa> 1 sec delay to dig/undig

Remote bomb - cast a spell on a creep, the creep has a detonate button, controlled by the player, once detonated, deals aoe damage around the creep.

alternate is the detonate button is on the tower, detonate all bombs cast by the specific tower.

Frost Orb, like the one in diablo. (but we already got ice tough)

Could be Fire + Nature and a Fire orb instead.

Frost Orb, like the one in diablo. (but we already got ice tough)

Could be Fire + Nature and a Fire orb instead.

Elaborate on the idea? I have never played that game.

Here is newest with BOTH orbs funktioning (I guess...)

Commands:

-start

-Orb

(-start must be typed, -orb is only to change between the 2)

testmap.w3x

How about a tower that creates a portal on both sides of the path. This causes creeps to portal backwards in the maze. Cool down and duration would have to be a function of how close it is to the end of maze, since causing the creeps to re-walk the whole path would be stronger than having them re-walk just one corner.

Boomerang Tower - Tower throws a boomerang that deals damage to any passersby, then goes back to the tower, dealing damage to more enemies.

Phase Prism Tower - This tower does more damage the longer it hits a single target.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=J0inxoTfrI4 - Essentially this tower has higher than normal damage but it attacks by randomly damaging the ground around the creep.

Pulse Tower: Does not attack normally. Rather, every X seconds it targets a unit and releases a barrage of energy bolts.

Reflector Tower - The tower shoots beams that bounce back to the tower and then are reshot. With each attack against a unit the strength of the tower doubles, but it loses part of its damage every second. The beam traves at a set speed, and so will bounce faster against closer targets.

A tower with a barrage like ability. It deals decent damage, but if more creeps enter its range, it shoots at all of them. Every extra arrow shot reduces the tower dmg by 10%. Meaning that its more effective vs a single creep.

Is there a min dmg? Let's see if I get this right:

1 target, 100% dmg.

2 targets, 2 x 90% = 180% dmg.

3 targets, 3 x 80% = 240% dmg.

4 targets, 4 x 70% = 280% dmg.

5 targets, 5 x 60% = 300% dmg.

6 targets, 6 x 50% = 300% dmg.

7 targets, 7 x 40% = 280% dmg.

8 targets, 8 x 30% = 240% dmg.

9 targets, 9 x 20% = 180% dmg.

10 targets, 10 x 10% = 100% dmg.

11 targets, 10 x 0% = 0% dmg?

Fires a slow moving missile that will split in half every second, each time targeting a new unit. Missile would go beyond the unit targeted if closer than max range. The split missiles would have an acquisition range.

Lag? What are the restrictions? Infinite dmg with each shoot? :P

How about a beam that targets a unit, dealing no damage. The beam builds up and when it is no longer targeting the unit (unit is out of range or dies) then the beam overloads, dealing aoe damage based on how long it was targeting the unit. The idea is just a sort of delayed damage effect.

Interesting, esp. with long range (=placement problems). Is there a max dmg (max charge time)?

Mine tower - Allways does full dmg (a constand dmg/time)? So weak in a fast game?

Portal tower - thats a stun, so we can't use it.

Boomerang Tower - Tower throws a boomerang that deals damage to any passersby, then goes back to the tower, dealing damage to more enemies.

Bloons td, nice one.

Phase Prism Tower - This tower does more damage the longer it hits a single target.

SC2 ftw. In sc2 it increases in 3 steps. Punishes fast gaming (aka weak vs rushers)?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=J0inxoTfrI4 - Essentially this tower has higher than normal damage but it attacks by randomly damaging the ground around the creep.

SC" again (collossus), I like it.

Pulse Tower: Does not attack normally. Rather, every X seconds it targets a unit and releases a barrage of energy bolts.

Where is the difference to old hail?

Reflector Tower - The tower shoots beams that bounce back to the tower and then are reshot. With each attack against a unit the strength of the tower doubles, but it loses part of its damage every second. The beam traves at a set speed, and so will bounce faster against closer targets.

I like the returning bit. But doubling dmg? O_o And more dmg vs close range is allready in laser.

About the spear - knockback = stun?

a tower that cant attack the same creep twice, with a high dmg output.

a tower that cant attack, but each X seconds send a wave of water that run around the maze(the same path that creeps use) damaging creeps.

Is there a min dmg? Let's see if I get this right:

1 target, 100% dmg.

2 targets, 2 x 90% = 180% dmg.

3 targets, 3 x 80% = 240% dmg.

4 targets, 4 x 70% = 280% dmg.

5 targets, 5 x 60% = 300% dmg.

6 targets, 6 x 50% = 300% dmg.

7 targets, 7 x 40% = 280% dmg.

8 targets, 8 x 30% = 240% dmg.

9 targets, 9 x 20% = 180% dmg.

10 targets, 10 x 10% = 100% dmg.

11 targets, 10 x 0% = 0% dmg?

I would imagine reduction by 10%is in a geometric fashion rather than an arithmetic one.

That is, with n targets, the effectiveness is n*(0.9)^(n-1).

So the table would be

1 1.00

2 1.80

3 2.43

4 2.92

5 3.28

6 3.54

7 3.72

8 3.83

9 3.87

10 3.87

11 3.84

12 3.77

13 3.67

14 3.56

15 3.43

16 3.29

17 3.15

18 3.00

19 2.85

20 2.70

peaking at 9 and 10. "Meaning that its [most certainly not] more effective vs a single creep."

Depending on what the intent of the tower is, the number will have to be adjusted. Which is easy enough to do.

I like alot of the towers here :) Especially the barrage one in the first post. That's a tower I would love for sure.

I like alot of the towers here :) Especially the barrage one in the first post. That's a tower I would love for sure.

Can you elaborate on which ones and why?

I like my idea :P, the boomerang and the phase tower. The reflector sounds pretty nice, but complicated.

I would also love reflector tower, it sounds awesome and I think it would be fun and cool both watching and using. About the Phase Prism tower... It sure sounds nice but... I don't think such a thing fits in this TD, I feel that it would be quite boring using..

Basicaly, the tower sends out pulses that damage everything in a line, and the pulses go from one of these towers to another (a single one of these towers would ahve to have a different attack) So depenign on how you set up the towers, you could have the pulses go back and forth, or around in a network, shooting these lines of damage back and forth. EAch pulse could have a max total damage that it could deal. I just imagine placing these towers in very strategic places and ahving these pulses of energy shooting back and forth, damaging the spawns that are walking underneath them.

That reminds me of something I saw in the Command and Conquer game Red Alert 2. It would be great to have towers that shoot to each other, combining their strength into one powerful, focused blast. In C&C, they were called Prism Towers. They used mirrors and lenses to focus beams of light to strike enemies. But, when two towers were close enough, one would shoot into the other, which would take that power and add its own into a single attack.

Finally, what about a tower that requires time to charge before attacking a unit? The target unit is selected *before* charging begins, and the charge is useless if the unit moves out of range. The amount of damage is a (quadratic, maybe even cubic) function of the charge time, and the charge time is configurable by the user. Setting the time higher makes the tower more effective, but setting it too high can make the tower next to useless, as it can never actually hit a unit.

Return Tower: This tower has a % chance to deal an extra amout of damage to a targeted creep 10 seconds later. (So let's say it hits a creep for 100 damage, there's a % chance that it will do an extra 100 damage after 10 seconds to that creep, when it is far out of the tower's range)

however, I have an idea: why not make a death tower that deals damage based of % hp lost?

I'd like to add a tower here that I came up with in my own thread, I figured this would be hard to balance though.

A tower that activates every time a nearby tower's ability activates, deals damage in a certain AoE around the new tower.

Example: This new tower's ability deals 500 damage in 700 AoE, so when a nearby Tidal tower uses Douse, it deals an extra 500 damage in 700 AoE around the new tower because of the ability. The ability would of course be passive

This tower would require good placement and it synergizes well with most towers in this TD.

However as I said above, this could be a problem balancing.

Towers left to "replace" are Vapor and Mushroom, perhaps that will help in brainstorming/selecting abilities.