EleTD.com
PunKZ

"Attack Ground"

Attack Ground Ability?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess most of you have played normal Warcraft 3 or some other map that allows you to "attack ground", a useful ability for such towers as Cannon Towers, Earth Towers and maybe even fire towers, cuz it allows you to place your aim in a way that isn't possible at the moment. I would like it implemented for all AoE Towers.

This allows for more strategic use of AoE towers.

What do you think?

EDIT: Periodics will not have attack ground!

I wanted to vote for "dunno, it's difficult" but that option is missing. :)

I wanted to vote for "dunno, it's difficult" but that option is missing. :)

No it isn't difficult, it's just to add the ability attack ground to the unit if I'm not mistaken, and why not? I mean it improves strategy with AoE towers and how can that be bad?

Spell-based towers.

True, but my suggestion was to make it possible on ALL AoE towers :o

in 3.0 our glacier/ice age towers were able to do this and I wished it upon more towers too! it's a neat idea - but if you see it from a different perspective maybe not. ok, this makes it easier to make up your strategies by forcing your towers to attack at a specific place, but I find it probably even more interesting to try place the towers so that they attack where you want them to :) or - micro them ;) the tower itself not being perfect allows you to micro, and the towers themselves not being perfect allows you to improve gameplay by optimized tower placement! so I say - gl hf on your micro and tower placement :) like poison and ice towers - place them at area 4 and micro them to attack upwards! so my vote was a couple of years ago yes, but nowadays with a deeper insight, I guess but dunno if I'm right since it's a matter of opinion, i'd say no.

PS. an example of towerplacement to force a tower to attack at a specific spot is like the placement of zealot, if you place them at 4, you shoudl always place them on the lower part of 4, since that makes them wanna attack towers on the lower path side of the ledge.DS.

PS2. perhaps it'd be cool to have this attack ground left on some tower but not ALL. perhaps Gunpowder or flamethrower or something. My vote on ALL is still no(and vote in poll) but I am really positive for this feature on one tower.DS2

in 3.0 our glacier/ice age towers were able to do this and I wished it upon more towers too! it's a neat idea - but if you see it from a different perspective maybe not. ok, this makes it easier to make up your strategies by forcing your towers to attack at a specific place, but I find it probably even more interesting to try place the towers so that they attack where you want them to :) or - micro them ;) the tower itself not being perfect allows you to micro, and the towers themselves not being perfect allows you to improve gameplay by optimized tower placement! so I say - gl hf on your micro and tower placement :) like poison and ice towers - place them at area 4 and micro them to attack upwards! so my vote was a couple of years ago yes, but nowadays with a deeper insight, I guess but dunno if I'm right since it's a matter of opinion, i'd say no.

PS. an example of towerplacement to force a tower to attack at a specific spot is like the placement of zealot, if you place them at 4, you shoudl always place them on the lower part of 4, since that makes them wanna attack towers on the lower path side of the ledge.

I know about tower placement and I know what you're saying, and I respect your opinion, anyways, I stay by my opinion. Because I know I would like it to be this way because I have played other TD's where I love it like that. Anyways, thx for your vote.

attack ground would allow to target the kill zone of max clumping.. which makes it easier to place towers as placement isn't so important..

suppose it'll be useful for say 2-3 towers but for all aoe towers no.. it removes some aspects of having good placement.

Hmm, could be good or bad. Either way, I can't really choose between yes or no

Problem: Mana AoE towers...

And hm.. would make some things easier but some other more difficult. (A simple two pass would require micro but the first pass wouldn't anymore)

I don't care but I doubt I would use it.

Guest Sancdar
True, but my suggestion was to make it possible on ALL AoE towers :o

I meant that it's difficult to implement well for spell-based AoE towers.

I meant that it's difficult to implement well for spell-based AoE towers.

Oh.. Yeah, that's a problem though.

I'm not for this, but it should easily be possible. since, for example poison attacks with the ability where the normal attack attacks (ie if you click attack a unit it will cast the ability there). so - give the normal attack that deals 1-1 a 375 or w/e aoe and ground attack. you click attack ground and the tower will attack there, and also the ability should be aimed there, right?

I'm not for this, but it should easily be possible. since, for example poison attacks with the ability where the normal attack attacks (ie if you click attack a unit it will cast the ability there). so - give the normal attack that deals 1-1 a 375 or w/e aoe and ground attack. you click attack ground and the tower will attack there, and also the ability should be aimed there, right?

YEah, that's how I thought of it in coding too :P But I don't know, it was long since I made maps...

If inplented only gunpowder should have this spell... But then it would be to imba. Not good...

But still, holding vote can be good.

Interesting idea, but I think I have an improvement. Instead of ground attack, there would be a way to see the AoE of where you are going to attack. Perhaps you cast something on a tower, and then if the tower is ordered to do something it shows the AoE (much like -range xxx).

Current idea would suffer from implementation problems, in fact, a lot of them. Ground attack can't be registered per attack like normal attack, so this only works for towers that have no "triggered" ability. Proposed would not.

Hm, I am actaully not a good "leak free triggerer" and usually do strange workarounds when using detecting system.

And I guess the system element td uses is far better then mine. But it basically works like this:

Trigger 1

event:

Entering units enter map

action:

set variable = entering unit

add to trigger [variable takes damage]

Then I run the trigger with some conditions to be sure it is "example tower" and then run the spell.

I have not have any problems with it so far. But I guess it could be a leak with setting the unit, but I haven't seen any problem with it.

It should work with attack ground attacks also.