EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Kaini

New Terrain

I have spent a long time thinking about how to find a compromise between the first version and the current version. I've compiled my ideas here. I hope to catch you on MSN soon.

[*]Area 1:

-I know this to be your favorite area. It has really grown on me. Nearly perfect. However, I think it needs some minor sprucing up. For a Dalaran Cityscape it is a little barren. Perhaps benches, rising energy particle field(s), townsfolk, critters, light posts, other structures etc..[/*:m:3e7li3bu]

[*]Area 2:

-I think this area is too similar to Area 4 (more on this below). I strongly propose a Darkness/Fire area here. For Darkness you had it perfectly before; blight, dead trees, skeletons, corpses etc.. For Fire, you also had it just about right; with that red ground texture, those reddish mountain rocks, the fires etc.. I think the dirt cliff would work better here.[/*:m:3e7li3bu]

[*]Area 3:

-I like that you filled this area with water. I don't think it looks "Sunken Ruinish" or "Tropical" enough though. The trees are kind of lame, there isn't enough rubble or overgrown vines, the tile for where you build isn't right, perhaps some birds or other critters etc.. I think dirt cliff would work better here.[/*:m:3e7li3bu]

[*]Area 4:

-Nearly perfect in my opinion. I'd recommend minor sprucing up i.e. rocks, trees, torches etc..[/*:m:3e7li3bu]

[*]Area 5:

-Nearly perfect. Is there anyway to de-emphasize the nature aspect slightly and emphasize the earth aspect more in place?[/*:m:3e7li3bu]

[*]Area 6:

-This area never really grew on me, and I don't think it is unique. I strongly propose a Water/Light area here instead. If you can get ice for Water (ice tile, icy doodads etc.), then I think the way you did Light originally was just about right for this mixture. I think dirt cliff would work better here.[/*:m:3e7li3bu]

[*]Area 7:

-I think this area should stay Darkness/Light, but I really don't like how this one is currently. Any chance of a complete remake of this area :mrgreen:?[/*:m:3e7li3bu]

[*]Area 8:

-Nearly perfect. I'd recommend minor sprucing up i.e. more totem, torches, flags, rocks etc..[/*:m:3e7li3bu]

Other List (part of the reason for requests above):

1. Light/Nature

2. Darkness/Fire*

3. Water/Nature

4. Nature/Earth

5. Water/Earth*

6. Water/Light*

7. Light/Darkness

8. Fire/Earth

*= Theme change from what Void last gave me (in my opinion)

Light = 3

Darkness = 2

Water = 3

Fire = 2

Nature = 3

Earth = 3

Hi everyone, here's my thought about terrain.

First time I test T21, I was... wow great effort!

It totally fit ELEMENT into the natural terrain. Nice!

Only downside is hard to recognize building area.

Then I saw pre-T22 terrain, it made me down.

I can't feel the ELEMENT and nature instead..

Modem wall/border, city road/enviroment that in real life?

Now, take a look back at 4.0 public release terrain.

Can you feel nature? Ask yourself which fit Element TD :?

4.0 public terrain.JPG

t21 terrain.JPG

t22.JPG

(from top to bottom) :

1st picture:

- The cliff terrain makes everything screwed

- Beside that, everything is just great, seriously

2nd picture :

- Pretty straight forward, but it's still good

- That brick "cliff" is somewhat not very elemental-ish, it's more composite-ish (sorry for the bad english). Well, at least it's not for all player section, so I can't really complain

3rd picture :

- No comment at all, it's our basic terrain anyway :lol:

My conclusion -> I vote for the 2nd picture

Guest Void

No can do. Cliff restrictions suck, I know.

I could, however, re-do the entire thing with the ashenvale tileset so I could have dirt cliff and the grass cliff, but no city cliff, but that would emphasize too much on nature.

Sadly the editor only allows 2 cliff types, and they come in pairs, so you can't have (for example) snowy cliff and city cliff.

Now, if you forget my posts on making things element themed, and just look at the terrain as it is, does it look good?

Now, if you forget my posts on making things element themed, and just look at the terrain as it is, does it look good?

Yes, it looks great. I really liked how you suggested a certain feel without having to be overt (the lampposts and the torches are terrific). I think you've brought up a good point with your comment, that we don't have to bombard the map with "elemental stuff" to have the charm.

From what I'm seeing with jolin's screenies, areas 2, 6, and 7 could use a defining feature, like what the lampposts and torches did for 4 and 5, because they look kinda dry.

That's what I see so far. Perhaps a game is worth a thousand pictures (cough cough).

Guest Sancdar

Area 5 (Yellow) has a green trail on the minimap and green-controlled creeps, so leaks are nearly invisible on the map without turning on ally colors.

this:

Building at the very top row of / causes the tower to be sold without refund.

I thought I had reported this already, but it seemed not fixed.

(haven't tried it yet :roll: but i asume he didn't lie.

Guest Void

Yes, it looks great. I really liked how you suggested a certain feel without having to be overt (the lampposts and the torches are terrific). I think you've brought up a good point with your comment, that we don't have to bombard the map with "elemental stuff" to have the charm.

From what I'm seeing with jolin's screenies, areas 2, 6, and 7 could use a defining feature, like what the lampposts and torches did for 4 and 5, because they look kinda dry.

That's what I see so far. Perhaps a game is worth a thousand pictures (cough cough).

I'm glad you like the lampposts and stuff, I put those in to replace the simple pathing blockers that were used in the 3.0 terrain :]

Guest biyabo

Void, I am a fan of your work. The latest 8 mazes look great. There is some visual overlap, but it doesn't bug me much. One note though: Player 2 is capable of building towers on the final stretch of his maze before the turn and exit loop.

Guest M45T3R

I'd prefer the old layout over the new one because my eyes hurt from all the colors.

Guest Void
I'd prefer the old layout over the new one because my eyes hurt from all the colors.

You need to see an eye doctor.

Guest M45T3R

You need to see an eye doctor.

No I don't because many people complain that the new colors serve as camouflage for the creeps, and I'll have to agree on that.

BTW it's called an optometrist or an ophthalmologist.

Sign in to follow this