EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Kaini

New Terrain

About the trees, as long as the biggest/most are on the backside of the buildable areas, there should be no problem.

Guest Timberwolf

Oh were there visual changes to the map? I hadn't noticed. :twisted:

In seriousness I don't mind a complete revamp of the color scheme and all that. My main concern would be to echo the lack of clear definition where you can build now. It's definitely going to confuse new players. Basically as long as this issue is addressed and some real clear cliff definition returns to the map, I have no other real problems.

About the trees, as long as the biggest/most are on the backside of the buildable areas, there should be no problem.
Well that's also okay...

I vote for 1 area per element too. (And maybe one undead and composite *g*)

Well that's also okay...
Instead trees we could use bush and flowers. (Nature isn't a evil element, it is good and happy :) )

undead would look too much alike darkness and composite would be erm.. gray?^^ there isn't much metallic afaik. better have 2 extra areas be like all the areas currently are.

Guest Void
I also vote for one element per area, and cliffs seem to be needed too.

What was your reason to get rid of them? I assume you thought about it, right?

They are very hard to work with and in my opinion look bad.

Ok, fair reasons. (I like some of the cliffs, but that's just me.)

What other options do we have to indicate the borders of the buildable area?

Guest Void

Well, I could use wall doodads, or I could make/find some rock doodads that look like cliffs but... better. Or both.

Anyways, I was thinking of maybe making 2-3 elements per area. One seems too boring to me, but any more than 3 I agree looks too cluttered.

Could you do show us screens once you have one section? Somehow I've got a feeling that even 2 per area might be too much, but I'm willing to be converted ofc. :)

Guest SadistNation

TBH one per area is what would be best..

2 could look good, would just need to mix and match the elements properly

3 really would be overkill...

Ele td isn't about whether the terrain is boring or not.. It's about the game play, and although 1 ele per area -might- be boring, it would be visually satisfying and much better than a clutter of items.

Keep it simple but elegant

Guest Apoc-

Yup I completely agree with SadistNation, ElementTD isn't about the design of the areas, it's about the gameplay and since it is the current goal to get a competative league up and running it should stay with a simple design.

The focus needs to be the gameplay, not designs making players ponder where they can and cannot build.

If the change is really needed then try to keep it at 1 (max 2) "elements" per area.

I've been playing a while know and I still often need to "try" where the border of the build area is.

I suggest to rebuild the areas so that they got cliffs again, you still (even with cliffs) could make the areas "colorfull" and "diverse".

Apoc-

Guest Void

I made a custom cliff tile, so now the cliffs don't look so bad, and I'm re-doing the entire thing. I'm basically making the whole thing a somewhat Dalaran-ish theme, but each one will have subtle references to an element or two.

Here are some screens of the cliffs I made:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/reso ... enshot.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/reso ... review.jpg

Now I'm working on filling in the areas with doodads, but I'm trying to keep the amount low this time.

Guest Sancdar

Not bad at all, looks like a nice separation between the path and the buildable area.

Guest Void

Mhmm. I'm keeping the scenery down for the most part except on the unbuildable/unpathable areas (basically at the top of each zone and that's it)

Guest Void

Progress report:

Done player 1 area (light/nature)

Done player 2 area (nature)

Done player 3 area (water)

Working on player 4 area

oh, i didint have seens this before, now that is a lot better the the current beta 21, walls really make the terrain looks nice,

nice work void.

cant wait to see it when ready

Guest Void

I need some input here. Should I make every zone using the white cliff walls, or should I make the bottom 4 be dirt?

Guest Void

Hmm ok. It will be hard to do darkness :P

Maybe I can make just the 8th zone be dirt cliffs.

I'm afraid I don't like that cliff. :( Sorry, I never liked the square boxy look of the wc3 cities.

Sign in to follow this