EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest M45T3R

Change the build Periodic tower hotkey to "r"

Guest M45T3R

"R" is currently not bound to any command, and it would be much easier to interest whore with a key that in a lot easier to reach than "P".

just how many periodic towers do you plan to build, anyways? Come on now, don't be so lazy ^_^.

Maybe you're trying to use touch-typing, in which case you shouldn't. pinky on B, index on P. BPclick, done.

Really, how can you complain about periodics being hard to build and not complain about Light towers; "L" is right next to P and I've probably built OVER 9000 times more light towers than periodic towers in all my eletd games. =P

Guest M45T3R

Only thing is I play on AP therefore I can't interest whore with light towers (heck, I can't with any elemental tower). And I can't put my pinky on the "B" because I still need a finger for selling the towers ("X").

Currectly, Every tower has the hotkey that comes as first letter of it's name, maybe you noticed. this makes hotkeys more newcomer friendly / alot easier to learn.. perhaps R would be easier to reach but it is not of much importance. move your hand instead :)

Guest M45T3R
how often do you need to build and sell things at the SAME TIME? moving your hand around isn't that hard, is it?

hey, if the starcraft pros can do it...

[youtube:3m3i66ac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTt9L3mMTbw[/youtube:3m3i66ac]

But I got a life so I can't do it as fast as them.

Guys, guys, relax.

Periodics no longer sell for 100% in pick. They only do in the pb, and don't will in the 4.0. So you don't need then hotkey, trust me. ;)

true, but ever felt the hestitate of lbl 52 coming in with speed? :lol:

play chaos mode and the risk is lower to face fast wave after you just received a pure essence, and ou have time to reach for the periodic button :)

[hidden:huxgehk1]j/k[/hidden:huxgehk1]

Guest M45T3R

And in what way does that reduce the enormous time it takes to reach "p"? Unless you are a lefty it's almost impossible to be used to it.

Guest Void

Enormous. You are kidding? It takes maybe 0.1 seconds.

"In 0.1 seconds you could've sold all your towers if you did it my way" STFU.

Guest M45T3R

It takes a lot more than 0.1 to reach ANY key on your keyboard... And I don't have to shut up if I don't want to since you are wrong and probably a 5-year-old flamer. Plus it's my idea and I can say it if I feel like it, hence the name "suggestions'. Now please get a life instead of pissing off others.

You are overreacting.

Now then:

I think consensus is that we should not change the periodic tower hotkey from P to R. If that is so, let us let this thread rest.

That is all.

Guys, manners please. And yes, that includes you, M45T3R!

On topic: I want all keys to be reachable without having to change my hands position. It more than doubles my hand apm. So no, we don't have a consensus here.

See nadas hand movement, and understand why he and not boxer is a modern terran.

STARCRAFT IS AWESOME [/offtopic]

yeah, I don't think periodic tower hotkey is the issue we should be talking about, but rather the entire hotkey scheme as a whole. I think it would be silly to change just periodic tower so that it's an oddball when compared to every single other tower.

However, I am open to other hotkey schemes. One that has been suggested in the past is a hotkey scheme based on elements. For example, fire tower is F, then to upgrade to flame you press "N" to add nature element. One issue with this scheme is: obviously there is no element to arrow/cannon/periodic so that's a weird hiccup.

another possibility, just brought up, is to have all hotkeys on the left side of the keyboard for easy access. Major con to this one is that it would take getting used to the system and somewhat arbitrary decisions would have to be made.

@Cisz, not all SC keys are within easy reach...'P' for building probes for instance (though toss doesn't need such furious apm anyways =P).

*How does warkeys interact with ETD? I know people have changed their WC3 hotkeys so that move is "Q", for instance, since M is a bit awkward to reach. Is it possible to do the same for eletd games?

And here's my new master plan: Let's do both.

D - Dark

E - Earth

F - Fire

W - Water

T - Light

R - Nature

A - Arrow

C - Cannon

Q - Periodic

V - Upgrade

Now you have an element-based hotkey system, AND you have all the hotkeys on the left side of the keyboard without a ton of arbitrary decisions.

Genius.

Mushroom? Polar? Laser?

We have to decide between fast to learn and understand (first letter hotkeys only) or fast to use for a master (located left). Both have huge disadvantages.

Mushroom? Polar? Laser?

We have to decide between fast to learn and understand (first letter hotkeys only) or fast to use for a master (located left). Both have huge disadvantages.

I think he means mushroom would be 'E' from nature tower, and 'R' from earth tower. (?)

Laser would be E from trickery, L from Gunpowder, and D from Quark...

Guest M45T3R

Memorizing the WHOLE tower upgrade scheme is a little out of hand for a human brain, so we can just change the basic towers (and periodic) and the basic elemental towers and leave the rest as it is.

I don't quite see the reason to mix first-letter with closest-to-reach. if what you mean is that the most used towers don't take much time to learn because they are so few but are used so much that they should be easier to use. single element towers are not that much more used to make that worth IMO. I'm not a fan of the combination idea, so unless single element towers would represent like 90% of the use of all towers, then perhaps it would be a bit closer to agreeable.

Let me go over what I just described above.

All the hotkeys will be on the left.

You will only have to remember 10 hotkeys.

It is the combination of a left-side system and an element-based system.

(The element based system is described in http://www.eletd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=294&start=30. Basically, to get from the tower [LN] to [WLN], you press the hotkey for water since that's the element you're adding to the tower.)

The proposed system will still be intuitive.

I know some of you don't like the element-based system.

I know we have already discussed the element based system in the past.

I know the system by itself wasn't better than the current system - it was no better, no worse, and that's why we didn't make the change.

That brings us to the next point.

The proposed system will be faster to use than the current system.

The proposed system puts all the hotkeys on the left.

The proposed system will require little memorization.

You will only have to remember 10 hotkeys (single elements, arrow, cannon, periodic, upgrade). You make duals and triples using the element based system.

By comparison, if we used a left-side-of-the-keyboard system without the element-based system, you would have to memorize 45 hotkeys.

10 and 45 is a big difference.

By itself, the left-side system is hard to remember.

By itself, the element-based system is no better than a first-letter system.

Put together, we can see that

is a false choice.

Once again, these assignments will be used:

D - Dark

E - Earth

F - Fire

W - Water

T - Light

R - Nature

A - Arrow

C - Cannon

Q - Periodic

V - Upgrade

I urge you to reconsider.

the main issue that springs to mind is that it's not intuitive if you're new to things (and therefore don't really understand what the hotkey system methodology is). However, newbies are probably just as likely to use their mouse anyways (for tooltip reasons, etc).

otherwise, i like the proposed system. though really it doesn't make too much difference to me in the end.

Sign in to follow this