EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
echinodermata

Towers with unfitting names

I am now going to take the time to single out some towers with misleading, undescriptive, outdated, or otherwise unfitting names.

Disease, Poison, Ice

>http://www.eletd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1170

Hydro

>This has seriously been discussed a billion times. Hey Einstein, "hydro" isn't a real word. "Erupt" (the name of the ability) sounds pretty good.

Quark

>Quark doesn't teleport anymore. I can't think of anything though.

Flamethrower

>It's fine as it is, but I'm thinking something along the lines of "Incinerate" would better describe the effect. Not the only possibility.

Jinx

>It sounds the same as Voodoo. Nowadays, Jinx is more like "Orb" tower.

Zealot

>The first thing that comes to mind is a protoss dude, doing light damage of course. How about "Rage"? "Frenzy"?

Tidal

>I haven't ever used tidal before, and that's probably because tidal sounds lame. I think it could do better than "Tidal" though.

Oblivion

>I thought it was called "Summoning". I dunno. I'm reading this name off the main site. If it's not called "Summoning", it should be.

Trickery

> I guess it's fine, but we might as well just call it what it is, a cloning tower.

quark seems fine and fits with the electron/atom theme.

zealot/fanatic makes logical sense but yeah, the SC preconception is kind of awkward.

tidal is perfectly fine, what better to describe the effect than "tidal wave"? The ability "splash" seems okay, but I'm not a big fan of "douse" for tsunami towers since "douse" sounds weaker.

other than that...

We can't use Summoning, "S" is Stop. In germany, hydo is a common part of a word, like "watery", and I would assume even more so in english. Flamethrower gives a good conection to the 3.0, we shouldn't forget that this is eletd after all. ;) I agree about jinx and trickery, their names could be better if changed.

yep, so no towers can be named with something that begins with S. that's why storm sludge Steam and summoning are renamed.

About Steam, isn't that an exception? "Stop" can't be used with either water or fire tower (they attack too fast) so shouldn't that one be able to be named with an S? I have asked this many times (not nessesarily on forums, perhaps just other ppl who didn't know for sure)before but cannot remember that i got any helpful answer.

They still have the stop "ability." You just can't click it fast enough to stop their attack. I don't believe there is a way to remove "stop" as it is hardcoded for anything that moves or attacks.

I will now suggest some new names for these towers. (Suggestions given with first letter in red cannot be level 1 names due to hotkey conflicts.)

Hydro --> Eruption (change the animation too!)

Trickery --> Cloning, Replication, Duplication, etc.; Mirage

Quark --> ???

Jinx --> Orb

Oblivion --> Minion

Zealot --> Rage, Wrath

Assuming Ice, Disease, and Poison won't change (but I hope they do),

Ice --> Helix (the name will work assuming Hydro will be changed to something not beginning with H)

Disease --> ???

Poison --> Swarm, [bug related stuff] Locust, etc.

Flamethrower can stay as is.

Edit: Tidal and trickery are also okay.

I don't like your trickery suggestions. I think I don't want a map with descriptional names only. Keep some fantasy and imagination too it pls. :)

I never especially liked zealot, so "rage" is fine with me.

Guest DevouringOne

I think that the names are OK. All players are get ysed to the old names. And if they're changed there will be some confusions.

I disagree with that attitude completely. We shouldn't have change because change is confusing? Because people won't be used to it? "Oh, 3.0 was OK, you know we're all used to it and such, and if we change it we'll have to learn some stuff all over again, maybe we should just leave it as it is, right?"

Do I really have to say this? We may as well be in the middle ages. If you think my suggestions are an improvement, or if you have suggestions of your own, or if you think the existing names are best, then that's up for discussion. Other than that there is nothing to say. Just saying.

Now then, I would like to know what the verdict is on ice, disease, and poison.

Maybe you missed all the months of fighting and discussion, where we (the developers) tried to convince each other, or non-dev-members of the community, that the changes we make are not total crap. The old towers and names are important, for this is eletd. It has a big fanbase, and we want to carry them over. I for example am unhappy with "windstorm". Feels like a stupid name, and storm was one of my favourite towers. And MrChak explictly stated that the sun tower has to stay, it's on of the oldest towernames, if not the oldest still in play. (And it still is, it's lv.3 of flame.)

Imo the old names should be kept to keep a close link to the older versions.

Guest DevouringOne

I think that you have to keep the old names becase they're the original ones. If you try to make something PURFECT it won't became perfect it will became shit. Even in SC there are some bugs and other stuff that were so used by the SC players so Blizzard gays have decided to transfer the same bugs in SC II...

Hydro and jinx are totally up to any change we feel like, as they are new in 4.0. :)

Even in SC there are some bugs and other stuff that were so used by the SC players so Blizzard gays have decided to transfer the same bugs in SC II...

wait really? are they really doing that? this raises my excitement level about sc2....

Guest DevouringOne

Yes 100% real. One of the transfered bugs will be: Your opponent have a nuke and one invisible ghost pointing the target. You dont have observer... You're with zerg. All your overs are far away from the target. But you have one defiler with 150 mana...and if you know where is the ghost you can cast plague...this wont kill the ghost but it will make it at one hp and VISIBLE :). It's the same with Arbiter ability - statis field and maelstorm (Dark Archon)

in SC II they will keep the bug: terran mine can be activeted by invisible unit but the mine isn't a detector. :D And other stuff.

That's no bug and never has been.

That's what aoe means: It affects an area and everything in it. Same goes for siege tank splash (place a marine right beside the invisible unit and attack it with a siege tank in siege mode), or flamethrower, or ensnare, or psistorm.

Guest DevouringOne

When they were making the game they hadn't maden these abilities for stopping nuke strike...

like maelstorm it is for stun but you can cast it where you want not with targetting unit and if you know where the ghost is uups no nuke... And two years ago they were about to remove this think from the game but so many players had sended them mails that they'd decided this stuff to stay and only pros know how to use it.

You don't really know much about BW, do you? ;) Tricks like that have been a part of bw for years, and removing them would make the game less realistic, and less demanding.

Where is your source for them wanting to remove indirect targeting?

Guest DevouringOne

That was my general idea for not making ELETD the 'perfect' map. Evey game must

have some tricks that can be used only by skilled players :). And we must stop

discussing SC and SC II because hmmm we are in topic Towers with unfitting names.

Sry for changing the general idea of this topic my mistake

Sign in to follow this