EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Karawasa

Score Model

With the recent 1.1 patch, I think it is time to start a discussion on the scoring used by ETD. I'm looking for feedback from the players. What works? What doesn't? I have included the current model as reference;

• All points are multiplied by the difficulty. Normal = 1. Hard = 2. Very Hard = 3. Insane = 4.
  • Each creep killed gives points equal to the wave number + five. So your base points for wave 5 would be 300 ((5+5) * 30).
  • If you don't leak, you get a 25% increase to your base points for the wave.
  • If you complete the wave in under 30 seconds, you get a 4% increase per second to your base points for the wave.
  • If you complete the wave in over 30 seconds, you get a 2% decrease per second to your base points for the wave. Max -100%.
  • You get a networth bonus percentage equal to (ending networth/base networth) to your final score.
  • Networth is equal to gold unspent + gold given if you sold all towers. This means Random gives 11% more.

Classic

• Game is considered complete after finishing wave 55.
  • If you complete the game in under 40 minutes, you get a 2.5% increase per minute to your base score.
  • If you complete the game in over 40 minutes, you get a 2.5% decrease per minute to your base score.
  • Base networth is the total bounty of all creeps. Normal =  60805. Hard =  79445. Very Hard = 90861. Insane = 103951.
  • Each frog killed gives 200 points. Every subsequent wave of frogs gives 20% more points.

Express

• Game is considered complete after finishing wave 30.
  • If you complete the game in under 20 minutes, you get a 5% increase per minute to your base score.
  • If you complete the game in over 20 minutes, you get a 5% decrease per minute to your base score.
  • Base networth is the total bounty of all creeps. Normal =  69483. Hard =  89142. Very Hard = 102373. Insane = 117564.

1 hour ago, Karawasa said:

• Each creep killed gives points equal to the wave number. So your base points for wave 5 would be 150 (5 * 30).
  • If you don't leak, you get a 20% increase to your base points for the wave.
  • You get a networth bonus percentage equal to (ending networth/base networth) to your final score.
  • Networth is equal to gold unspent + gold given if you sold all towers. This means Random gives 11% more.

imho:

• early rounds should matter a little bit more. Maybe (100+x*30).
  • 20% ->30%  I feel like leaking should have a bigger impact
  • You get double rewarded now. Higher Bonus % + more Frog killing points(because of more gold for towers). A little strong right now imo.
  • I like the Random Bonus. It is very unlikely that you get a top build. It takes skill to make the best of the situation and it is nice too see some top random games on the leader-board.

1 hour ago, Karawasa said:

Classic.

• Each frog killed gives 250 points. Every subsequent wave of frogs gives 20% more points.

My idea is adding the endgame speed Bonus to the frogwaves too. That would encourage slow players not to neglect the first 55 rounds completely.So they still try to speed up some rounds if possible. Fast players clear only 1-2 frog waves(It is nice when they count a little more)

Edited by Utoko

Thank you for the feedback. I am considering the following three changes;

• Points per frog nerfed to 200
  • Clean bonus buffed to 25%
  • Per wave speed bonus buffed to 3%

Regarding the suggestion to alter the scaling, we're gonna try a bump up of +10 to all creeps, so instead of Wave 55 being x55 the value of Wave 1, it'd be 65/11 = x5.9. It's still considerably higher, just no longer making the initial 10-ish waves completely insignificant.

I think point increase to all creeps should not make it so flat. Going to test +5 on classic and +3 on express. Also, negative speed bonus (over 30 seconds) will be nerfed to 1%.

Numbers may change before the patch after playtesting. I would like to invite top players to join this effort. Please PM me if you're interested.

it appears that points for frog kills are only given if the entire wave is killed? is that correct? thats at least what I can see from replays. tbh, I would much more like to see every frog kill count.

21 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

it appears that points for frog kills are only given if the entire wave is killed? is that correct? thats at least what I can see from replays. tbh, I would much more like to see every frog kill count.

Each frog kill should count now - only played one game this patch so far so I can't rly tell if it actually works like it should...

EDIT: Apparently I was wrong^^

Edited by Helpstone

You don't get points for single frog kills this version.  

Edited by Utoko

36 minutes ago, Utoko said:

You don't get points for single frog kills this version.  

Should that change?

I am not sure. 

You have to focus on the first 55 rounds to be on the top right now.

If you change it you can also get ahead by superior micro and placement to get the extra 3-4 Frog kills. 

Sometimes I just sell my towers at the last round because I know i cant kill the frog wave(8). 

So I think i am in favor of changing that.

I think frogs should give you points for each one you kill even if you don't finish the round, it seems weird to me that killing 150 frogs is exactly the same as killing 179 frogs, if you happen to lose to the last one. I know that's an extreme example, but still it just feels kind of odd.

I think buffing the clean bonus would be good, right now leaking doesn't really feel like it matters in the first like 40 waves because you get so few points anyway.

And I definitely think buffing the points early game would be good if there's a balanced way to do it. Right now it feels like I have 109k points at wave 51, and then end with 370k points by the end of the frogs. It's not necessarily bad for this to be the case, it just feels kind of strange to get so many points so fast at the end of the game.

Updated original post for 1.1. Partial frog points were implemented. I propose nerfing frogs to 150 points for 1.2.

i dont understand this:

• If you complete the game in under 40 minutes, you get a 2.5% increase per minute to your base score.

so lets say i finish the game in 35mins, and my score after killing roshan is 500000. how does the calculation work?

also, how do i know how fast i finish the game?

Sign in to follow this