EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
WindStrike

Quark Towers

The quark tower is not as quirky as it sounds, though it can be. Its damage type is Light and is designed for weakening creeps, though it often kills everything in the early waves. To get a Quark Tower (Dual Tower), you'll need Earth and Light. Essentially, it spawns two orbs opposite of each other that rotate in a circular orbit around the tower. Each orb has 3 AoE, so you get a fair amount of leeway with positioning. The specialty of Quark Tower is that it can expand or contract its range. The standard is at 8, and it can go up to 10, 12, or 16. That said, this guide doesn't not cover everything about the Quark tower, as I have not fully learned it. But this guide does go through the 8 range spots.

Range Comparison:

• Fire Tower - 8 range
  • Nature Tower - 10 range
  • Earth Tower - 12 range
  • Dark Tower - 16 range

Placements

Due to how this tower hits, you can't simply place it anywhere and expect it to do well. Now, while it does hit everything in a circle, it's actually not very good in the middle. Why? Take a look at this:

QuarkSpots.jpg

The placement I have for the Quark tower is the top-left peninsula. If you look at the orbs and their direction, they're going clockwise, and that means a lot. Since the creeps there are moving in a counter-clockwise path, the orbs will hit them more. If you place in the middle, the creeps will travel with the orbs and thus not get hit nearly as much. For maximum effect, build in the spot seen in the screenshot first. If you're running Nature and Fire as well, your Nova tower would go directly to the left of that Quark Tower. All remaining ray towers show the other good spots for Quark Towers. The grenade towers show not-so-good spots for Quark Towers, as they won't hit the path as well.

If you fill up there and fell you need more Quark Towers, either use the bottom-left peninsula or try the two 16-range locations I know.

QuarkLongRange1.jpg

QuarkLongRange2.jpg

If you contract them, they'll hit targets on the inside a little bit, then expand them to maximum range (16). The one on the bottom will hit the bottom side and the right side. The one on the top will hit the right side and the top side. Honestly, I'm not too keen on these spots, but I'll leave that up to you. If anyone finds anymore spots that are good, feel free to post in reply and I'll update this post.

For maze mode, Quark Towers ARE quirky. I'll post a guide up on that one later... once I do more experimenting.

Tips

I'd run this tower in a 4-element build (like all dual towers) going for Earth, Light and Fire first. By wave 30, you'll have access to Level 2 of the following towers:

• Quark (Light) - Earth + Light
  • Electric (Fire) - Fire + Light
  • Forge (Support) - Fire + Earth
  • Money (Earth) - Fire + Earth + Light

For placements of the Money Towers, check out this guide here (click here). Electric towers use practically the same spots as Money Towers. For multiplayer, you'll want an even balance of the three, with Quark Towers weakening things up front (top-left peninsula), and then the Eletric/Money towers sharing the kills. Money will be great against the Healing rounds, and Electric, as its Fire damage, will cover Money towers against Nature rounds. Additionally, the extra minerals from Money towers will help out a lot in the long run. For Forge tower placements, place them somewhere where they hit as many towers as possible (up to 4). As of the most recent patch to EleTD, Forge, Well and Trickery towers are now 12 range, so this should be easier.

As for your fourth element, go for Water or Nature. If you go Water, you'll get Erosion and Muck as supports with Haste as a great anti-single target tower. If you go Nature, you'll get Nova and Incantation for supports along with Quake, which is great for AoE, though it's kind of redundant with Quark towers. Regarding what pure towers you should use, go with Light and place them in the middle (towards the top end of the middle). Most of your other towers are AoE or multi-hit, so Light will fill your anti-single target, regardless of whether you have Haste or not.

I hope this guide helps. I don't recommend putting Quark Towers in any double-pass location, but on the flipside, seeing as I haven't mastered all the ranges on the tower, it just might work.

Also, if you're playing and see that your towers do 50 damage per orb, they're probably gonna get nerfed to 40 damage per orb... cause they're bloody cheap right now.

Sign in to follow this