EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
gwho

Cash on Hand

net worth is nice, but we don't have enough pieces of info to determine the rest of the picture.

net worth is cash on hand + tower worth (reduced by25% if not playing on random), and it also varies according to whether you killed a creep earlier or later (phase offset)

so if you see net worth of a player, you can't determine the rest of the story.

someone could have the same net worth, but it might be deflated for one player b/c he built elemental towers while not being random. or one player is holding more cash on hand, and using minimal towers, and he later pulls ahead. you wouldn't be able to foresee this using net worth alone, but with cash on hand visible, this would be plain as day, and you would be able to tell "oh he's doing better", even tho the net worth may be the same number as another player.

If we had one more piece of info, it would be enough.

The best piece of info would be "cash on hand".

if this info was also visible, we would know how strong your economy, as well as other players economy are. If you know cash on hand, you know that the rest of it is is invested into towers. If you know cash on hand, you know how much a player will get at the next interest cycle (if you know their interest rate also).

i know it's hard to fit more info on that chart without making it bigger, but this info would be really nice.

I agree that it would be a useful piece of information. But as you hinted at, how to fit it on the scoreboard without making it even bigger?

I agree that it would be a useful piece of information. But as you hinted at, how to fit it on the scoreboard without making it even bigger?

*goes to drawing board with thinking cap on*

ok i looked at it seriously for 2 seconds and immediately came up with a solution.

right now there are 3 columns:

1st - waves, ID names

2nd - lives

3rd - net worth

1) first thing to do is reduce the font of everything. we don't need it that big. star battle uses a much smaller font and it works great. (remember there is around 15 lines for starbattle's menu too.)

2) reduce the spacing between the 1st and 2nd columns. maximum ID length is 13 chars. almost exactly aligned with the colon character in "next wave:" (if you look at 1v1 obs metalopolos, there is only 1 character space between columns. highly efficient, and more than enough visually)

2b) reduce spacing between 2nd and 3rd columns as well.

3) write "net worth" on two lines. (It actually is two words if you want to be grammatically and spelling-ly correct.) Makes 3rd column skinnier.

4) With all this, there will be plenty of room for a 4th column - cash on hand - 8 digits needed at most.

note: icon sizes don't have to change, necessarily. current size would still look fine with reduced font size.

I was going to put up screen shots of current, modified to what it might look like with above changes implemented, as well as the starbattle's menu for comparison... but i dont know how to take screenshots of starcraft without having it just be a black screen when i paste it on paint.

Implemented for next version. The scoreboard takes up a lot less space too!

sweeeet like honey in my tomey

Sign in to follow this