EleTD.com
Sign in to follow this  
Twilice

Straight copy or new game?

As the topic says, is this going to be a bland new game? A total copy of element td from wc3. Or a highly similar game still named element td using the same "core".

This could include things like: Dual elements, Tripple elements, The terrain, Bounty and "lumber".

I'd say we take the core of the game and implement this into the new game. A total copy won't be possible I guess, but it's also not necessary.

For example, I think it would be better, to create the game in a way, which involves more competition between all players. If this is considered from the beginning, the result will be much better, than with those additional modes we saw in the Wc3 version imo.

TDs tend to become repetitive after a while, because everyone just focusses on his own build and soon he'll find his 'perfect' build and gets bored. This can be changed be either constant balance changes and new content (like up till now), or by adding interaction with the other players, which will result in more unique single games, which is also better for the motivation to keep on playing.

At least, that's what I think ;)

which is why in the wc3 version, builder weapons start as enabled (to be disabled by host) to encourage active player interaction..

though too much interaction (how to define?) also detracts from the basic idea of 'tower defence'. if only more players stepped out of comfort zone and enjoyed the randomness of playing multiplayer -samerandom+chaos - getting randOOmed, learn a thing or two about rushing and not just focus on ronalds (which most do).. and get out of playing very easy just to horde gold, try other builds instead of life tower..

on topic, keep the core and basic ideas and expand something different from there.. see what new ideas the team can generate.. do something different while staying true to element tower defence.

The "builder weapons" was a bad idea imo. The competive started out fine with the wave starting and rushes. Yes it needed something new, that we can fix in this version (hopefully) But we don't need any "crazy" abilitys to get players to interact. Thats more like a minigame then the element td I knew of.

Element td became very popular because of the base and how it worked, also don't you remember when we used to play this 3-5 people and we all played pretty well. You wasn't really only focusing on what you builded.

But we need more of that, we need to make some decisions better rewarding, like if I take water now I might be able to catch player 3 ofguard, but I will be vulnerable to level 27. But if I take fire now I will have a regular steady defence, but player 4 will get a chance to increase his gold income. (or something like that) The interest thing is a fenomenal idea, and we need more of them to affect the economy, and the "global" economy.

I say, a pretty big revamp, slight difference terrain maybe. And new "original" ways to interact "passivly". Like killing the creeps faster will get me more gold? But with the core rock-paper-scissors and the things were used to.

consider what mode we played and what mode you'll usually end up playing in a public game..

remember the FDS? 'passive' player interaction and making better decisions all feature.. the 'standard' build would invariably be tried by all players. but the players know that to win, they need an edge on others. the player has to predict what others would do and either do it better or do something different that beats their plans, giving rise to the $$$ opening with arrows and cannons to wave 30 among others..

which also leads to organised tournaments and league events, something which was planned but so far hasn't happened.. the old challenges were also a way to get players to try different builds.

a highly similar game still named element td using the same "core".

That's what we are aiming for.

Couldn't agree more, however, how about an idea of using the terrain to affect the game as well?

If we want competive play we could possible think on making a "tower war" type mode that you could choose from and make the creeps you can send based on the elements you get. that would make you pay attention to all the other players build and select which element would be best to use against all players or which element would be best to defend from players as well as from the creep waves spawned.

Granted this is a Tower Defense and that doesn't quite fit within that genre, thats just a straight forward way to add in competition. More subtitle ways would require some thought before I am going to post my ideas about them.

As for straight copy or not. I say not I think a straight copy from WC3 to SC2 would fail tbh. I think we need to keep in the core of the game but changing it to fit the new group of users. Obvisouly we wouldn't use wc units in sc2 but we are also down to less units to work with, but a higher technology level theme.

If we want to increase competive play...More subtitle ways would require some thought before I am going to post my ideas about them.

I'd be interested in hearing ideas regarding this.

Can you give us a hint about some of the differences?

It would be cool if the elements had some unique characteristics instead of just armor type.

Can you give us a hint about some of the differences?

It would be cool if the elements had some unique characteristics instead of just armor type.

Consider the SC2 1.0 to be what a WC3 5.0 would have been. What kind of characteristics beyond armor/attack did you have in mind?

Sign in to follow this