EleTD.com
Karawasa

Element Tower Defense coming to Dota 2

That's awesome, I was saying just the other day that I thought Dota 2 needed custom maps like footmen frenzy and such. Couldn't believe it when I heard Element TD was coming to Dota 2 fantastic news. I'd like to hear more on how this came about.

I was wondering how long this would take.

Do you have any custom maps ala dota 2 insider information? Like will custom maps be free, or do you buy them? Or will it be like some sort of pennant.

Well, I was about to hop on to ask about this, and here I see it officially announced...... well, maybe not complete with info/screenshots, but yeah, I'm lookin' forward to this.

Seeing as you're saying "a few months", I'm guessing the DOTA 2 version is a lot easier to make, ie simpler map editor? Dunno, just guessing. One thing I'm curious about... how's the UI going to work? Traditionally used to WC3/SC2 UI setup, where buy-stuff is in bottom-right corner, along with tower abilities, with stats at bottom. This'd put abilities in mid with stats next to it, in theory. Do you intend on using that give towers more abilities, upgrades, and/or flexibility?

Well, I was about to hop on to ask about this, and here I see it officially announced...... well, maybe not complete with info/screenshots, but yeah, I'm lookin' forward to this.

Seeing as you're saying "a few months", I'm guessing the DOTA 2 version is a lot easier to make, ie simpler map editor? Dunno, just guessing. One thing I'm curious about... how's the UI going to work? Traditionally used to WC3/SC2 UI setup, where buy-stuff is in bottom-right corner, along with tower abilities, with stats at bottom. This'd put abilities in mid with stats next to it, in theory. Do you intend on using that give towers more abilities, upgrades, and/or flexibility?

The map editor is really tricky, no official support yet. For what the mappers of Dota2 use is modified Alien Swarm SKDs Hammer which is designed for a First Person Shooter games. There's alot of using third party tools and messing around.

For abilities and UI we can use Flash in dota engine, so we've got many possibilities

thats a genius move from valve. importig a wc3 mod in a game that used to be a wc3 mod.
also i should boost the popularity of this wonderful td since dota is free to play

thats a genius move from valve. importig a wc3 mod in a game that used to be a wc3 mod.

also i should boost the popularity of this wonderful td since dota is free to play

Valve actually has nothing to do with it. While it would be cool to have their official support, this is something that we are doing ourselves. And yes, I'm sure this version will revive the community.

So how is it going? Any estimates on when we can play it on d2mod?

We are looking at a few months before it's playable by the public.

Looks sick! Might have to install Dota 2 just for this.

You should. I did :).

We've decided against putting this on D2Mods. There will be screenshots and videos as development progresses. But, it won't be playable until it's officially released on DotA 2.

We've decided against putting this on D2Mods. There will be screenshots and videos as development progresses. But, it won't be playable until it's officially released on DotA 2.

I'm guessing you've decided this due to the Edict limit in Dota 2 currently? I don't see any other reason why you wouldn't want to post it, other than not being able to complete it at this stage in Dota 2 modding

I'm guessing you've decided this due to the Edict limit in Dota 2 currently? I don't see any other reason why you wouldn't want to post it, other than not being able to complete it at this stage in Dota 2 modding

You hinted at the reason. We will not be able to complete it at this stage in DotA 2 modding. Our aim is high quality and we're not going to release until the first impression is worthy of the brand.

I wanted to drop my 2cents.

I hope it's not a 1:1 copy of the TFT version. I played that so much and I am hoping that it's freshened up a bit.

I'd like to see more creep abilities.

Like what about taking the omni/bkb magic immune effect, and coloring it, to show immunity of a type? And having a wave where the units become immune to the first type of damage they take, after taking damage for the first time.

Could have a mix of units, where one unit will purge slows off the other units that get slowed (Perhaps only slowing earth or water slows, even). Things like that. To me those are more entertaining than it mostly being about the units armor type and the damage types you have.

Some things like that, where waves react, would be neat.

I'd also like to see some player abilitie(s) that could sort of negate how hard a few waves are. Perhaps it'd open up more strategies for a strategy that'd otherwise die to a quick, tanky, or wave of a certain type. Like maybe an ability where all the units of the current wave(both already spawned, and not yet spawned) lose half their max HP, but the next 5 waves all have 10%(+/-) more HP.

For now, we're doing a port of the TFT/SC2 versions, with a few revamped towers. Once we get a community back in the playing field and the game is up-to-date with the latest that TFT and SC2 brought, we'll probably be up for suggestions towards expanding/evolving the game.

I for one would be all for adding new creep abilities especially, especially in Chaos mode. Those are some good ideas there. I'm hoping we'll be able to reach them someday relatively soon.

The SC2 version had a lot of changes. So if you're just used to the WC3 version then it will definitely be fresh for you.

I was thinking of downloading the SC2 free version to try it. I assume it works on that. But I'd rather just wait for the dota version. It's looking really nice.

I was thinking of downloading the SC2 free version to try it. I assume it works on that. But I'd rather just wait for the dota version. It's looking really nice.

Yes it would work. But as you hinted at, the DotA 2 version is going to be much nicer.

Can someone update the progress of this game :(

We're making good progress. We'll have an alpha ready next month! The release itself is targeted for year's end.

Haven't been here for a long time and now DoTA 2 version? How would that work though? (mind you I don't play DoTA 2, but I thought that game was strictly for DoTA only kind of game)

Nah, dota 2 has a currently in alpha "world editor". It's very much work in progress. But full custom maps are planned.

I don't know any details on how it will work out with prices and such. Dota 2 is fully gameplay free, only custom cosmetica / tickets costs money. But I actually wouldn't be surprised if the custom maps would cost a small ammount of money. Because they are regarded as custom. (and the creator gets a bit of that money of course)